Fungia

Thanks Kanga, you right about the thread. I read somewhere that the babies in the ocean will release with the flow of the currents, hope my flow is ok as they are getting a bit big for the little branch they are on.

I would Imagine, and I am guessing here, that they will release any ways and the flow will just carry them away to their new homes.

But hey thats just a guess

...I read somewhere that the babies in the ocean will release with the flow of the currents, hope my flow is ok as they are getting a bit big for the little branch they are on.

Waiting for them to release themselves is a bit of a risk, IMHO. What if they end up being sucked into a power head, or into the skimmer, or end up lodged under a rock where you can't find them?

I would suggest that you carefully break the dead coral branch they're growing on (use a side cutter if it's very hard...), and then epoxy the broken-off pieces of dead coral branch (use Pratley's standard set putty) onto new rocks. It would be OK to remove the branch from the water for a few minutes whilst working, and then you could place the new rocks into a container with tank water for about 1 hour to allow the putty to set before placing them back into the tank - I would just siphon off the water in the container and replace (say) 50% every 15 minutes while waiting, to ensure enough oxygenation and waste removal during this process.

Hennie

Interesting, Hennie, that makes perfect sense

My only problem is that they are growing touching each other so I cant even think of breaking or cutting the coral

My only problem is that they are growing touching each other so I cant even think of breaking or cutting the coral

Take the branch out of the water, and look at the under side after the corals have contracted - if their "bony parts" don't touch you should still be able to frag them - if not, building an eggcrate "box" around them will probably work.

Hennie

Fwiw, I don't think you need to remove them yourself (and I don't think I would if it were me). I might make an eggcrate fence around the coral though (Hennie's alternative suggestion).

Very interesting so far .I have never had one in my tank yet one day when I moved some live rock around I found a small one on the base of my tank.The little guy is about 30 mm across .The strange thing is that it is not stuck to the glass but is totally free.I will see if I can find it when I get home to night.I will have to remove it from the tank to get a good pic because of its small size.

Oh, almost forgot... great pics Alfie!! Thanks

Alfie - I have just caught up on this thread - been a while since I read it! I am really glad for you that the babies are doing so good! I am following this one with interest!

Missed this. Thanks jacquesb. The thread almost got out of hand.

2334784589bcddc1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom