Fungia sp. Keeping and Breeding.

Reaction score
This is purely based on my experience and differences of opinion are most welcome. As far as scientific names are concerned please help (Sara and Jake) as I am not clued on these at all. When providing one please give a explanation on what is meant in laymens terms so all can understand.

WATER PARAMETERS:

sg 1024
alk 8.4dKH
nitrite 0
nitrate 0.2
phosphate 0
calcium 450
ORP 400

These test are done with the normal over the shelf Seachem tests so you might have a different more accurate reading using a colourimeter or different make of over the shelf kit.

CHEMICAL DOSING:

Kalk via kalkstirrer
Calcium Reactor
Strontium
Trace Elements
Iron

LIGHTING:

8 54 watt T5,s of which 4 are AM whites and 4 are ATI super blue.

WATER FLOW IN TANK:

75 times water volume per hour.

PLACEMENT:

On the sand as they can move about and damage to the tissue due to a fall or damage on a sharp object can cause them to die.

FEEDING:

Although they derive food from daily feedings that are in the water collum it is important to target feed them at least twice a week, flow in the tank is reduced when feeding. I use either whole shelled muscle, calamari or prawn. Food size is quiete large and is placed on the mouth of the fungia, this is purely to enable it to eat it quicker as the fish try to steal it especially the tangs that are larger.
tank020-1.jpg

tank024.jpg

tank027.jpg

GENERAL:
A general indication that they have settled can be detected by the extention of the tentacles and how much it inflates by water intake to expand the body. From observation Fungia sp. body enlarges by about a third in size when happy in its surroundings. When they are settled try not to move them or disturb them as this seems to delay any activity towards them spawning.

Another important factor is to be carfull of any Algae growth close to it, especially Cyano bacteria. I once had a small cyano bloom close to it on the sand and immediately noticed it did ot open as much and also moved away from the cyano. Any indication of algae close to it I immediately vacume out now.(must say have not since had a problem with it though).

BREEDING:

Spawning takes place by the release of eggs from the mouth of the Fungia. Although I have not been able to observe this here is a photo supplied by coralite.
fscutfem.jpg

Once fertilised the eggs seem to settle low in the tank and close to the parent, maybe this is why we find them in clusters close to each other in the ocean. I had a small coral dead coral branch lying close to the parent and that is where they attached and started developing.

As the branch was completely covered by coraline it appeared the be some green algae spots but within a week I realised it was some life form but could not identify it at that stage. I did not let my curiosity get the better of me and left it undisturbed(thank goodness).

3 weeks later I could really get the first photo of them.
Baby1.jpg
\
Baby2.jpg

They grew here by feeding on whatever was in the water collum. Popular believe is that they clone or reproduce only when the parent is dying is not factual as can be seen here with parent and babies at a month after the above pictures were taken.
tank016.jpg

At this stage I started target feeding the the babies with a mixture of cyclopeeze and artemia. As the have got larger the food mixture has changed and is now a mixture of Artemia, red plankton and brine shrimp.

They have developed well but are still attached to the original coral branch and one has to wait for them to release on their own.

tank130.jpg

This is the latest pic of the babies 5 months after I first noticed them.

34347c6eeab75b2e.jpg

As they develop I will keep the post updated to provide time lines etc.

Last edited:
Looks like your sun coral is doing great as well! ;) Nice pics and write up there Alfie.

Cool Mekaeel, did you see it spawning or notice any thing different?

Just wonder - how were the eggs fertilised? Can the one coral be both male and female, and "self fertilise", or do you have more than one of these corals in the tank?

Hennie

Just wonder - how were the eggs fertilised? Can the one coral be both male and female, and "self fertilise", or do you have more than one of these corals in the tank?

Hennie

Hennie, I was hoping that one of the gurus would shed some light on the subject. At this point in time and with no further information on the subject and no other observation other than in colonies breeding and spawning I have to make the folowing asumption.

As I only had one in the tank and the fact that they spawn out the mouth the following photo (Not good quality) shows these white balls being formed in the tentacles which are then released shortly after the spawning. I must presume that this is the fertilisation process.
Fungiaalfietips.jpg

In the pic below if you look closely you can see the meny tentacles that are split at the ends due to this event.

tank093.jpg

Back
Top Bottom