[FS]: Weird looking crab.: Kew, Johannesburg.

Discussion in 'Livestock For Sale/Swap' started by ShaunSwindon, 5 Dec 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon

All other livestock
    Common Name:
    Weird looking crab. ​
    Scientific Name:
    - ​
    Size
    15mm from left to right. ​
    How long have you had it?
    Over a year. ​
    Shipping or Collection only:
    Collection. ​
    Your location.
    Kew, Johannesburg. ​
    Price:
    Free. ​
    Photo's:
    [​IMG]
    Notes:
    Im not going to lie but over the past couple of days been pulling my tank apart to get to a few unwanted hairy crabs which I have noticed.

I would have left them be but I have noticed a few pieces of my corals broken off :blush:

I am not 100% sure if they were the reason but many people have informed me that crabs are nasty little things in a reef tank. Especially the hairy ones. So far I have managed to remove three hairy crabs (about 10mm accross) and the one in the picture. The three hairy ones were not so lucky as they were lodged inside small holes and the only way to remove them was to pull with my tweezers until something came out. Unfortunately they did not make the removal in one piece :( Fish and cleaner shrimps ate the bodies so they did not go to waste :whistling:

The crab in the photo was different though. Besides bigger he came out of his hole rather easily as I was lucky enough to get a good grip on his body to eventually remove him. He really is different from the hairy ones. If the light catches him correctly he is a purple colour and his eyes are red and he has no hairs. He almost has folds on the top of his shell like the back of a fat guys head :lol:

So I do not have a sump to put him in and I do not want to kill him. Thus why I am offering him to a good home :thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

You want to sell that carpet anemone its sitting in?
    :p

4. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

5. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon Thread Starter

I knew someone would make a comment like that...and you sir win the grand prize of one hundred Zim Dollars :thumbup:

None of you guys want the little fella then :blush:

6. ShaunSwindon

ShaunSwindon Thread Starter

Many thanks for the link. I am afraid as similar as he looks to the picture the one I have is devoid of hairs :whistling:

Like I said before I had no issues with my DT crabs and wish I could keep him but the logical thing to do after witnessing my corals getting uneccesary attention is to begin the process of elimination to determine who is the culprit.

Since I posted this thread this morning I have found another two hairy crabs in and amongst my LR. I fear I have a "breeding" program going here :(

7. Paul4515

Paul4515

Could be a gorilla crab. If it is not a very nice crab to have.

Recent Posts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.