[SOLD] [FS]: Closing down my system: 6 foot tank : Northriding, Randburg, Jhb

Discussion in 'Hardware For Sale/Swap' started by coralline, 23 Feb 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coralline

coralline

Full system sales or multiple items for sale.
    Thread title:
    Closing down my system: 6 foot tank
    Shipping or Collection only:
    Collection
    All sales to be conducted on the thread.
    • I agree
    Photo's and description/list of items for sale:
    It is with a heavy heart :( I have to close down my tank and sell it off. Work commitments have limited my time considerably, and I am doing more work-related travel so I don’t want my tank to suffer as a result. Because of my time limitation, I haven’t stocked it with corals even though it’s ready and waiting, so it’s a fish and invert only tank, apart from 2 clusters of brown zoas. I will begin another tank in a year or so when work has returned to normal
    (All prices will be listed after description)
    DT is six foot (1.8m).
    +- 700ltr system.
    Stand is tube steel with hinged canopy, painted white with silver Hammerite on exposed areas – see pics
    I wrapped the stand in ply wood which was varnished and waterproofed. I put polysterene on the inside to isulate, with cabinet magnets to hold the doors (top and bottom) on for quick removal – see pics

Sump (see pics):
    1st sump tank is for reactors and skimmer (60x50x30cm),
    2nd sump tank 110x58x32.5cm (joined by 3 50mm pipes) is Deep Sand Bed 78.5 length (12.5cm deep playpit sand,water depth of14cm ), followed by refugium (housing caulerpa macroalgae and resident pods) chamber (13.5cm wide, 26cm water depth), then finally return pump and reactor pump chamber (14cm wide). The reactor pumps return water to first chamber to increase flow over DSB.
    Retun pump is Aquamedic OR2500
    30 cm wide skinny overflow on back of display tank (in middle). Plumber with 2 x 50mm pipes, both with ball valve taps, down to sump

RO tank (stands next to tank, has wooden cover) is 70cm high, 20cm wide and 40cm deep. Using a 950l/h Buyo pump wired to a float swith in retun chamber
    DIY Kalkwasser reactor (see pics) with 500l/h pump inside, plumber off RO top-up pipe, wired to RO top-up pump (so it is active at the same timeby the float switch) – works nicely!

DIY nitrate (Seachem media) and phosphate (Orca GFH media) reactors in first sump tank – both work well, but not for sale as I’ll use these again when I start up in the near future, and not worth much considering the negligible cost to make them! I’ll also keep the pumps for these, (Aqua one and Buyo, so not pricy anyway)
    50+ kgs of DIY rock in display tank. About 5kg of ‘proper’ live rock covered in coralline algae. The DIY rock is starting to show some coralline algae since I added the DIY Kalk reactor about 2 months ago.
    Water Parameters: pH: 8.3, PO4: 0, NO3: 0, KH: 7.7

Livestock (all feeding very well, healthy and active):
    1 x Regal tang (medum, 8cm): R200 Sold Mariusmeyer
    1x Six line wrasse (medium, 4cm): R150 Sold Jayte
    1X Bangaii cardinal (medoum, 5cm): R130 Sold Jayte
    1X Saddled/Valentini Toby/puffer (3.5cm): R180 – what an interesting and intelligent little character, I can watch him for ages! Sold Jayte
    1x purple dottyback (medium, 4cm): R150 Sold Jayte
    2x common clowns (medium 4.5cm): R100 each Sold Dallasg
    1X Blue damsel (medium, 5cm): R80 – despite their reputation, he’s relatively peaceful! Sold Jayte
    1x Domino damsel (medium, 5cm): R80 – hmmm, this guy on the other hand, is generaly full of nonsense. But the regal tang puts him, and only him, in his place! Sold Jayte
    1x common goby (a greedy but cute little guy), (medium, 5cm): R80 Sold Mr Tim
    1x Sea hare (large, 14cm): R100 Sold Dallasg
    1x blue reef lobster (medium, body is about 6cm, each tentacle is about 15cm long): R200 – Sold Dallasg
    1x Boxer shrimp (large): R130 Sold rocketrooster
    2x blue leg hermit crabs (medium/large): R50 each Sold rocketrooster
    1x common black hermit crab (small/medium): free to whoever takes other hermits! Sold RocketRooster
    1x Red starfish (medium): R80 Sold rocketrooster

Rock:
    DIY rock which has been in the tank for 12 months, very unique shapes: R30 per kg. I piece has colony of brown zoas on it: R100
    Live rock (basic, with coralline algae)– 2 pieces: 1 piece with colony of brown zoas, probable 2-3kgs: R120; I plain piece, probably 2-3kgs: R80 DibsTinTin
    About 25kg of DIY rock (dry, see pics with Sprite bottle as size reference): R15 per kg (price drop from R20!)

Equipment:
    Reef OctX200 in-sump skimmer (works like a dream): R2000 Sold Gersh
    2 x SunSun 12000ltr/hour circulation pumps: R150 each Sold Normandp1

Tank (10mm glass with supports on base and top) and stand, if sold separately: R3000. If display tank, stand, RO tank, and sumps are bought together: R3600
    There are some scratches on the front glass of the display tank – I inherited this large tank from my father in-law and he has somewhat carelsss with magnetic glass cleaners which fell to the gravel floor… The wooden finish of the stand (DIY by my father-in law and I) needs a tiny bit of TLC as some of the edges are chipped due to the wood venere being so thin. What I always wanted to do but didn’t get the time was to put nice cornering strips/90 degree pieces over all the ends and corners, to conceal gaps and chips etc. Overall though, it’s not in bad condition.:blush:

Substrate: Crushed coral (about 15kg) mixed with aragonite (about 10kg): R150 Sold vipercore

Lighting (Not for sale): I used a DIY LED system, but I will deconstruct this and keep for my future tank. (DIY LEDs - 10x10W white 7000K, 10x3W blue, 9x3W white 10,000K and 9x3W white 20,000K); set on an aluminium frame, housed in acrylic box, with 4 fans). The top of the canopy has holes cut for the fans – see pics. I still have the cut-outs if someone wants to close/cover the holes.
    I do have a T8 flourescent lighting ballast, for a 36Watt tube, as well as 2 actinic (marine blue) 36 watt tubes, both with a few months life left in them: R100

AquaMedic OR2500 return pump: R400 Dibs Triton
    RO top-up system, with float valve and pump: R200 Dibs Triton
    RO tank: R300 Dibs Triton
    Sump tanks all 4mm glass (if not bought by purchaser of display tank): small sump: R200; large sump: R350
    (Reactor pumps I’ll keep as they’ll be useful for my future setup)

I think that’s everything – sorry the post is SO LONG:eek:, but I thought it best to rather put everything and anything in there to avoid loads of questions. I hope the pics are uploaded properly and clear enough (sorry for the quality, I used my trusty cell phone!). I could only upload 10 pictures to the post so check the link below for photobucket to view the pics of the livestock and rocks
    http://s1292.beta.photobucket.com/user/jjackalj/library/

This is an urgent sale, and obviously livestock must be sold before equipment. I really need to sell all by next beginning March, and my time during the week is very limited, so please dibs if you are going to buy it, and please bear with me if I’m not replying straight away – I will definitely check my messages twice a day and at night;).

Thanks everyone:thumbup:
    Notes:
    -

20130222_181953.jpg

20130222_070540.jpg

20130222_070548.jpg

20130222_070559.jpg

20130222_070705.jpg

20130222_070726.jpg

20130222_070744.jpg

20130222_070753.jpg

20130222_071108.jpg

20130222_181904.jpg

Last edited: 25 Feb 2013
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I will take the regal tang

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Let me know when i can swing past

5. lu cherry

lu cherry

Best price on skimmer?

6. Triton

Triton

Is the return pump silent?
    If so dibs :)
    What litres per hour is it?

7. Triton

Triton

Also dibs on the ro tank and top up float switch

8. Lizid

Lizid

How old are hermits?

9. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Cool, thanks Marius. I'll let you know tomorrow - maybe tomorrow eve or Monday eve...

10. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Hi lu cherry, sorry but that is the best price...

11. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Hi Triton,

Yep, as pumps go, it's pretty quiet. It's 2500 l/h. I'm sure I don't need to tell you how good and reliable these AM pumps are... I'll dibs it for you. Thanks

12. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Cool, I assume with the pump, hey?
    Dibs accepted on Top-up system and RO tank

13. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Shew, tricky question Lizid! Not sure at all as I bought them from the LFS about 6 months ago and they were a decent size then... Wouldn't even hazard a guess. sorry.

14. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Tomorrow evening would be great if possible. Thanks.

15. verniedlx

verniedlx

1x blue reef lobster (medium, body is about 6cm, each tentacle is about 15cm long): R200

Is this guy reef safe 100% ? What about other shrimp and crabs?
    I have 2x fire, 1xscarlet, 1xcamelbak, would be cool if they did not get eaten :)

Last edited: 23 Feb 2013
  16. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

17. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Dibs on the entire cleanup crew. Hermits, shrimp, starfish. :) Not sure about da lobsta. My tank might be a bit small for it.

18. TinTin

TinTin

I'd love some of your live rock please.

19. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Howzit bud.
    These lobsters have a mixed reputation - my guys has been completely fine with my boxer shrimp, hermits, sea hare, starfish... even at night when the clowns are lying still he scavenges near them but leaves them alone... I've heard that if they get hungry, they can hunt and even grab tiny fish, but mine never has. Although when I got him he was tiny, only about 2cm long, and maybe he grew up with my fish so he leaves them alone!

He hasn't touched the 2 corals (zoas) I have either. But I would advise you to ask expert reefers you know and trust - it may be that some are worse than others. As I say, mine is peaceful, but then again I feed him every day with a few lobster pellets (food made for lobsters and crabs, by Hakari), which he loves!

I would say it's best to err on the side of caution - safest home would be in a tank with medium-large fish. I hope this helps.

20. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Cool, dibs accepted on hermits, shrimp and starfish. Yep, the lobster needs a big tank as he will probably still grow twice his current size! thanks

21. coralline

coralline Thread Starter

Cool - how much? just about all of my rock is DIY rock which has been in my tank for a year or so... The actual LR is only 2 pieces - check the description and pics for more info. Thanks:)

Recent Posts

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.