Frustration - What to do

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Ross, 1 Jun 2011.

1. Ross

Ross

Hey Guys

I am at a crossroads with my reef. From day one I have had all sorts of bad luck with it (ask the guys from Idol). Things looked like they were coming right but it is still a massive struggle.

Softies and LPS have always done well. SPS looked good and were growing like crazy but colors were not so great. Changed up the lights and the colors were amazing and growth was still good.

I had an aptasia problem and I got a Kleins Butterfly to help sort it out. He did a good job for a bit. I knew I took a chance with him as a coral nipper and eventually he gave up on the aptasia and turned to my corals. He is gone now but my corals are in terrible shape and they don't look like they will make it.

I also have a massive infestation of little white start fish (i did research them and some eat algae and some are a problem) I just keep trying to get them out when I see them.

Parameters are all good, even wrote and app that I log everything in and graph all my readings etc. I have tried the big water changes a week, one big water change a month and then long spaces of time between water changes.

So I wanted to "start over". I was wondering if I removed my big island of rock, the SPS one with the aptasia would this be a big hit on the tank. I only want to take them out to try get the aptasia off. How long would the rock have to be out the water for the ones I don't see to die? The problem here is this is going to be tough on the good stuff in the rock.

I would also replace the sand at the same time, any problems?

Fish would stay in the tank, and SPS that I think might have a chance will be put on plugs and also left in the tank.

Just don't know anymore... other option is a nice listing in the classifieds :(

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. seank

seank

Ross, sorry to hear. Honestly not nice to strive for something and then running into walls.

When I had Aptaisia on my rocks, I removed them from the tank, scrubbed them with a "Nail Brush" and dipped them in Ro for like 2 seconds, then placed them back into the tank, it helped a lot.

Wrt the sand, I would do it on sections and over a couple of days, to be able to get the "good stuff" going into the new sand too. Maybe start at one end and work your way towards the other end over a period of time.

You will probably get another mini cycle, but I'd say it will be much smaller if you do the changes over a longer period.

I'd leave the Island, it looks nice, maybe hide some pipes connected to a pump under the sand bed to create better flow around the Island.

Do not sell what you love, wait it out, it WILL work out, you'll see. You feeling down now, but the Butterfly that stuffed your coral up, is already gone, another step closer in getting your tank perfect and on track

Stay positive- go take some pics of something- I know it'll take your mind off the tank a bit :thumbup: :)

4. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

as koeks mentioned keep it at. dont give up its been too long. hang in there.

5. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i have to agree with sean here, its a bumpy road for some and very rewarding when it smoothens out.

its possibly just a long teething process,

im very hateful of aptasia and if there is more than 95% chance of it repopulating a restart may be in order but thats very extreme. its also my personal approach.
    others have more paitence,

as for the rest sean has pretty much covered it, i personally found when things started going wrong i had to go down a notch and allow it to go through its phases..

i settled for a workable enjoyable tank rather than a high maintenance project.. perhaps rethink your approach on old issues..

go hack to basics assess your husbandry skills, i can see you are a meticulous person, its displayed in how you have built your tank and the rest of it.. sometimes we are more critical of ourselves than we should be..

its so ironic that you should post this as i was thinking of your setup earlier today and was wondering what had happened..

chin up old fella..

6. crispin

crispin

hmm bad news to hear that Ross, sometimes reefs feel like they are more work than they are worth, but i hav eno doubt that your tank can bounce back from this and fairly quickly.

dont give up just yet, a rescape might be an idea and hammer the aptasia while you have rock out the water, plus if you have to frag the sps in the process thats NOT the end of the world. Go back to the basics, be religious on your husbandry for awhile and your tank will bounce back and be better for it. You have all the skills and requipment to make it into a fantastic and dare i say it, easy tank once things settle. Take a deep breath and let the tank come back for you

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

I got a Butterfly Kleinni, so far so good. But then again I do not have SPS. And no more aptasia either. A Softy setup.

Also I have a lot of peppermint shrimps in a separate tank. And I move live rock over to there for service. I found that only Peppermints will truly remove aptasia. Eat it up until its gone. Where fish will nip it and it will pull back. Only to re-emerge when the fish is gone.

But peppermints are strange, 1 or 2 or 3 WILL NOT WORK. Must have an army. They will attack one aptasia head only and only eat that until its gone. Before they will even consider to move on to the next. And they start with the smallest.

Aptasia for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

8. Ross

Ross Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement guys.... I do understand what you are saying.
    Tough to see something that was looking so nice to fall apart. Actually makes me feel bad because I must have messed something up.

It is at that stage I work on it so much and actually have not sat and watched the tank for ages and that is the point of it.

Ok new approach thanks to your support. Going to do some massive water changes, try a few chems on the aptasia and see if I can get some peppermint shrimps (just worry, they are so small and my Closed loop will feed on them)

Will also start to change the substrate out slowly as it has always bugged me.

Rocks will stay in for now and SPS that look bad will be fragged and "put aside" because seeing them all the time is heartbreaking.

Thanks,

Will let you know

9. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

you also need to realise that even the natural reefs go through periods of trouble, look at this dip as being a natural occurence and observe and learn while you are there so that you can avoid this in the future..

a positive attitude is a very strong thing and can influence alot of what goes on around you..

10. robertkukla

robertkukla

:thumbup:

11. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

If you need a hand there are plenty of us GP'ers that will lend a hand.

also get hold of microbelift special blend, dose the day before your remove rocks, then dose after putting rocks back. that should stop any cycle.

as for the sand one can do it in sections or add a temp bacteria source to help with the removal of bacteria when changing out sand, eg special blend and a pouch of zeolites etc

Recent Posts