frustrated newbie

Reaction score
hi all must say you all have great setups im still in the proses of purchasing a tank-setup have lots of home work to do ,want to go for a small tank due to space limatations, im looking for a boyu nano tank only problem rustenburg is a small place and therfore no one holds eny and also they want an arm and leg for what ever you need coz they have to bring it in from gauteng eny one got idea what is relative good price for such a tank and how much live rock i can put in it once ive sycled the system o yes and do i need sea water to start or can i use fresh water and just ad salt :blush::1:

Hey and welcome to MASA!

Seems like you have a lot of reading to do, @belindamotion and @viper357 will help you out soon with some threads to read about starting a tank. These small tanks do go for a heafty price around R2000 and up so be prepared. This is an expensive hobby but yet one of the most rewarding, you can use freshwater and add salt mix from the pet shop depending if you use RO water. Never use tap water as it always contains elements you don't want in your tank like chlorine, phosphates, nitrates etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
:welcometomasa2:to MASA...here is a Link to our For Sale Section...have a look thru there and that should give you an idea of how much you would end up paying for a Tank...there is Nano's for sale..maybe not a lot, but if you keep your eyes open you can find a nice bargain...
FOR SALE Forums - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

I have a BOYU and I have to admitt that if I could, I would have loved to have gotten this little Nano...but they only came into the Country after I bought my Nano...:p
ITS HERE the NEW Aquaria Nanos.... - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
My New AWM37 NANO setup - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

The norm is usually 10% of you'r Tank size...if memory serves me right...:blush:.. If you have a 80L Tank, then roughly 8kg LR....lastly and most important...never use tap water...in a Marine Tank we use RO water...you get it at a LFS(Local Fish Shop) and you buy the Marine Salt and mix it..then you cycle with that saltwater mixture...
Here is some info...please read and ask away if you need help...
Starting a Marine tank - What to buy first - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
Starting a Marine Tank - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
New to Marines- Please listen!!!!!!!!!! - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
Marine Aquarium Cycle - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
Fish recommended for Small Marine tanks - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

What to test for and why - Marine Aquariums of South Africa
Ideal Water Parameters - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

MASA Lingo...my favourite...
Acronyms, abbreviations - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Last edited:
Welcome to MASA, hope you enjoy it here with us ;)

Hey man.

Buy my setup.;)
Welcome to the hobby.
Ive tried many things but this is defiantly a hobby that keeps me interested.
Just love marines man, and the DIY on your own setups will help you also to learn what works and what doesn't.

Good luck man

The norm is usually 10% of you'r Tank size...if memory serves me right...:blush:.. If you have a 80L Tank, then roughly 8kg LR....

Hi Belinda

I ran a Boyu TL-550 before I shut it down to upgrade to my 1.2m tank. The Boyu is an awesome tank, smart, compact and the cube size just works well. If I kept it, I would have taken out the internal plastic chambers, change the lights to LED, run a small sump and lastly mod some larger fans in the hood linked to a temp probe to regulate the temp. A Chiller maybe, but thats expensive.

Now with a small compact system, your bio load is important. I had a lot of fish and corals and what worked for me is a lot of live rock. Its not so much the KG's but the volume of rock. I must have had 50% + live rock. The more rock the more natural way to breakdown waste.

Hi Belinda

I ran a Boyu TL-550 before I shut it down to upgrade to my 1.2m tank. The Boyu is an awesome tank, smart, compact and the cube size just works well. If I kept it, I would have taken out the internal plastic chambers, change the lights to LED, run a small sump and lastly mod some larger fans in the hood linked to a temp probe to regulate the temp. A Chiller maybe, but thats expensive.

Now with a small compact system, your bio load is important. I had a lot of fish and corals and what worked for me is a lot of live rock. Its not so much the KG's but the volume of rock. I must have had 50% + live rock. The more rock the more natural way to breakdown waste.
I agree, I feel the same way..that's why I'm planning the next one with LR in it's own Tank half the size of my DT...:thumbup:

Thanks every one your advice really helped me make my mind up shots

Price list headache

Hi every one can some one please give me a proper price on the new aquaria 102L tank and also the smaller 37L coz I've been all over the net and no one can provide me with a fixed price also a price on the sand I'll need and the live rock thanks

It's difficult to give a "fixed price" as each LFS has their own mark-up...some will even maybe have them at a "special"..not saying they are on Special...just saying each LFS charges their own prices...all you can do is maybe post on the Sponsors "Request" Forum and then the Sponsors, in you'r area can PM you the prices of that you are looking for..you then decide who to go to..:blush:
► Sponsor Request Forum - Marine Aquariums of South Africa

Back
Top Bottom