Frozen foods compared to dried foods (flakes/pellets)

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by jacquesb, 11 Apr 2008.

1. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hello all - between LikesFish and myself we have just had an interesting difference in our knowledge/experience w.r.t whether dried fish food, in either flake or pellet form, might be better w.r.t to nitrates/phosphates (phosphorous) etc (all the bad things in our tanks that could possibly cause extreme nuisance algae growth), compared to frozen fish food.

Could everyone please supply your comments on this?

I would especially invite the more experienced reefers and guru's to comment and discuss this?

Many thanks.
    Jacques:thumbup:

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

With frozen foods its impossible to know whether the have been frozen/thawed once twice or more which will rapidly increase the phosphate levels within them. Personally i feed a mix of live,frozen and dry foods with the bulk being dry in pelleted ,flake and sheet nori forms. Of course all dry feeds have phosphate levels but IMO low enough to not be an issue.

4. jacquesb

jacquesb Thread Starter Retired Moderator

Many thanks, MidasBlenny - I really appreciate your contribution.

That's what I also thought....

I also know that dried foods indeed have SOME phopsphates or phosphorous in some form, therefor running phosphate remover as well....

5. Warr7207

Warr7207

Yeah, but I reckon you would have to do a shit load of feeding before this phosphate becomes an issue.

I have a mate that had one of his kids empty an entire flake container into the tank when he was out of town and then his phosphates sky rocketed. cyano and algae bloomed everywhere.

6. jacquesb

How big was the tank Warr? And how big was the container of flake food?

I can imagine that if there's not enough clean-up crew in the tank to "take care of that amount of flake food", and also no phosphate reactor, that this could REALLY cause a phosphate issue.

BUT, was there any nuisance macro algae growth? And over what period was this?

7. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

Funny that this should come up right about now...

we are actually looking at importing a batch of freeze dried food. Heres some of the info provided on the omega website:

we currently have some samples here and its awsum stuff! I will hopefully be bringing in a batch with the next shipment :thumbup:

8. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

The problem with freeze dried foods henk is they float even after soaking and very few marine fish accept food from the surface.

9. Warr7207

Warr7207

300 litre, it was the biggest container you get, not sure what measurement.

There was algae within three days but no hair algae, it was the glass type stuff

10. jacquesb

Many thanks Henk for commenting - could you please comment on the actual thread? Which would contain the worst phosphates/nitrates? Dried foods or frozen foods?

Also - Warr - I wonder what would have happened if that was a WHOLE container (the square blocks of frozen foods which so many LFS' sell) would have been chucked into the water? How would the effect then have been? Less? The same? Or worse?

11. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

i would say frozen foods due to the high liquid content with the dissolved phosphates in it. in a dry food its atleast semi-contained

12. jacquesb

Many thanks for your input Henk - much appreciated! ;-)

13. Warr7207

Warr7207

Now that is an interesting question, you want to try ;)

I am so scared of the frozen food, I defrost in a warm container then strain it 3 to times with RO water to try and get rid of some of the phosphates.

14. jacquesb

No - I had my time of struggling with nuisance algae, thank you. :)

15. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

Guys, why would there be dissolved Phosphates in frozen food?

16. crispin

crispin

hmmm a topic way over my head...what was that about wanting comments from experienced guys (think that disqualifies me:)) however only slightly food related, is it possible to set up a small breeding tank for live food to supply LS with and if so what do people do? I assume its difficult else we wouldnt be using dry and frozen, but difficult never stopped me trying:)

17. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

ive stopped using frozen foods completely when i had my algea problem.only feed pellets,nori and flakes.occasionally i feed Artemia (spelling?)

18. LikesFish

LikesFish

I have never fed dried food in my life - simply because the two times I tried my fish ignored it. They LOVE the frozen food and are perfectly healthy, and my phosphate (P) levels are usually < 0.02mg/L. That goes for my reef tank I used to have. The predator tank... yeah well try convincing a 20cm panther grouper to take anything other than a whole lancefish or mussel or 10cm LM prawn and you are out of luck.

I based my claims not only on personal observations, but on this book where I have a great deal of trust in the author:

"Flake foods
    On the negative side, flake foods supply a concentrated dose of nitrogen and phosphorus - good for the fishes but not for the water quality."

"Frozen foods
    Frozen foods are much less concentrated compared to dried foods, so one has to feed a much larger quantity of them to match the nutritional value of dry foods."

and then it goes on to discuss how the trend is changing whereby aquarists are starting to feed nutritionally less dense food (frozen food) more often rather than nutritionally dense food (dry food/pellets) less often, since that mimics the natural process better.

Oh yeah the book is "The Reef Aquarium Vol 3"

Not saying dry food is bad, just that from my experience and what I have researched it seems to contain much, much more nutrients (such as nitrogen and phosphates) than frozen food.

19. Alfie

Alfie

Nothing wrong with the work of Julian Sprung. I personally find that a good combination of the 2 foods is good for my tank. Flakes for the fish and frozen for the rest.

20. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

So...the best food for your fish would be fresh squid/mussel/crab/hake etc. etc. bought from your local fishmonger/supermarket, minced up in a blender and frozen. In other words, home made natural frozen foods. ???

21. Mike

Mike Retired Moderator

The trouble with using fresh food from the fish shop is that you could be adding pathogens from a different area that the fish/inverts can't fight off.

Recent Posts