From freshwater to marine

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Maddy, 3 Oct 2013.

1. Maddy

Maddy

Hi everyone. I have had freshwater fish for quite a few years now and was always too scared to try a marine tank but have however decided its time. I bought a cube 600 x 600 from a friend with a few corals and one or two fish. I got quite a lot from him, sump, skimmer, stand, pelet reactor, doser, water filter, lights etc, pretty much everything I need. The stand however is 1.2, so I am having a 1.2 tank made and can then kick off. Very excited. Just hope all goes well, marines are so much more expensive.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to MASA. Enjoy the journey!

4. KeeganP

KeeganP

:thumbup: :welcometomasa2:

Welcome Maddy

5. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

Welcome Maddy!
    Hope you enjoy the marine hobby! Its a lot more fun than freshwater!!!
    Why don't you take a couple pictures of your tank & equipment & post it here to help up answer any questions you might have regarding marines...

6. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Thank you I will do that. Glad I heard about MASA, will be great and helpful to get advice from already experienced mariners.

7. the fish

the fish

:welcometomasa2:

8. Handy

Handy

welcometomasa

9. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

I am receiving my new larger tank this week, faster than I expected but very excited. Will post pics as soon as everything is done and then I can start stocking up slowly but surely.

10. Fred d

Fred d

welcome to masa bud ...

dont forget that marine tanks need to cycle for a few weeks before you start to stock hey

11. Ruberto Frazao

Ruberto Frazao Sponsor

We need Photos @Maddy.. Welcome to masa and enjoy your journey...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  12. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Hi guys. Sorry I still have not posted pics but there is a reason. Only getting my 1.2 tank on wednesday where all my corals etc will be placed over to the new tank. Will probably sell the cube then. Problem is when the new tank comes I will have to quickly make a plan with better lights (have T5 currently). Not very clued up with the lighting. I was told yesterday about razor lights? But very expensive although I dont want to buy cheap and then have to buy too soon again. Can someone suggest what I should look at please? I would like LEDs. I have candy canes, ricordias, one clam and two large hard corals. Will find out their exact names and post it. They are suffering and busy going down hill at this stage, lights are not strong enough and would really like to save them. Don't know if I should by expensive or first start off with something that will be sufficient but not top off the range?

13. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

The two hard corals are Prostrata and Millepora

14. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Maddy has your tank finished it's cycle yet? I feel you added too much too early and these corals need a tank that has run stable for a bit. Personally I would wait for the tank to mature a bit add fish first then a month or two later start with corals. As for led lighting look at Reef Aquatics under the sponsor section they have some decent led's at good prices talk to @Andre@ReefAquatics.

15. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

Hi. Thanks for the advice but its not a new tank, its been running for years now. Ive taken it over from a friend and got the fish and corals along with it. My problem is he's lights were strong enough for the corals where mine isn't. So I have to make a decision regarding lights soon.

16. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Did you mix up new water for the tank or did you take some of the old water from the previous owner? If you mixed in new water the tank will be in a mini cycling stage plus the corals need to adjust to the new water conditions. As for the lighting, how many T5's do you have, what wattage and what colour range? Also what amount of flow are you using in your tank? Flow is just as crucial as lighting if not more. Pics would also help.

17. Maddy

Maddy Thread Starter

No new water was mixed in, took everything as was. Have decided to go with Razor 160 w. Don't want to go cheap and then have to make a plan again later on. I should be sorted with these lights? As soon as I have the larger tank on Wednesday, I will post pics.

Recent Posts