Frogspwan-brown jelly or light shock?

Reaction score
i hope im wrong but my frogspawn isnt looking great. i have two, each has 7 heads. my oldest 1 lost 2 heads to my angel fish but is still going strong. the new one, about a week old i think is doing hundreds. two of its heads are opening up fully but the others arent. in the pic below, their flesh went like half why done their branches. that flesh is starting to fall of and is leading up the heads. not sure what is happening. thought it was meybe brown jelly infection but not sure. is it maybe light shock?
please advise. all my sps,lps and softies are perfect except the new frogspwan.
btw the tank it was prevouisly, came from a LARGE colony, so i think the bottom parts of the branches didnt recieve to musch light.
note that the flesh extends quit a way down, but my other one only has flesh on it heads?

P1060497.jpg

Have no experience with brown jelly, but judging from your pic, that damage was done when you epoxied the piece onto the rock. Polyp damage at the two points that i would have selected to push the branch down into the epoxy, and at the base where you must have held it.

What i can say with some confidence is that when this coral is stressed the flesh recedes very quickly upwards. If the mantle of the polyp is damaged, this i am afraid is more often than not terminal. These beauties do not ship easy for this reason.

sory dude, wish i could help, but don't know very much of the brown jelly

the strange this is it only started happening this morning. the polyps or now opening nicely.

how come my other frodspawn doesnt have that "fleshy" bit going down the branches?

SPS Stressed LPS

For the last 18 months i have been wanting to close down one of my LPS tanks and transfer the stock to Sunburst. However each time i attempt to move these corals they wilt and just look anemic and pissed off. I have decided to give up.
This is why.

Parent Colony whom i have shared many winters and summers together;... whose gene pool i have spread far and wide.:devil2:

IMG_7993.jpg

Five separate branches were removed and placed in various locations in Sunburst. Care was taken to keep them out of high flow areas and out of direct halide lighting. I have lost two of the 5. The other three are now back with their mother 18 months later.

A comparison of the sps abused piece on the left and what they should look like right
IMG_7943.jpg

IMG_7952.jpg

i dont think it is brown jelly, not sure whats going on. he opens fully when lights are on, then after an hour he shuts down and looks kuk then later one perks up.

but you have got 400W MH. im running two 150W MH on a 600l tank, sps are in the high flow/ light area, my tank at the moment is lps dominated.

but you have got 400W MH. im running two 150W MH on a 600l tank, sps are in the high flow/ light area, my tank at the moment is lps dominated.

Hmm agree.... i dont believe light is your problem, but if lps is your goal i have found t5 more beneficial Got 4 x 250watt on sunburst sps dominated. On the cube used 150w halide once before, but have now changed to 6 t5's Much cooler (the reason for change) and the corals (all) expand so much more and have far deeper richer colours. This tank is also 750 deep.

I am sure most of those heads will pull through. You may loose two:(

my goal is kind of sps and lps. manly monti's and a few acros in the upper levels and lps on the floor, i love my brains!

this is what he is looking like now.one on
the left is the old one. one on the right is the new one.
P1060512.jpg

Just check your flow. I had to move mine (different ones) a couple of times to get them where they feel happy and completely open. The brown stuff at the bottom of the Branch, I am not sure what it is called, but I had the same on one. Thought it was rotting so I cut it off and had no more problems afterwards. Btw, very nice pieces you have there.

flipet, that looks nice man.
if you ever want to pass one on please think of me, i'll give u some shrooms;)

the frogspawns are mine.

i read that they will become infected once damaged, is this true?
i have already ioden dipped him and he is looking much healthier.

A comparison of the sps abused piece on the left and what they should look like right

IMG_7952.jpg
Sorry to interject in your thread gaz, sunburst...is the color loss due to your sps system being nutrient deficient?

the frogspawns are mine.

i read that they will become infected once damaged, is this true?
i have already ioden dipped him and he is looking much healthier.
Dont worry them too much or they will stress badly, you will see brown jelly when it starts, the polyps dont extend and they get covered in a brown slime. WARNING when this starts switch all pumps off and remove the coral without disturbing the jelly because if it falls off and lands on another coral you can normally kiss that coral good bye. Once out of the tank cut off the heads that are infected as this will spread like wild fire through the whole colony.

Sorry to interject in your thread gaz, sunburst...is the color loss due to your sps system being nutrient deficient?

As Ive heard Antony Calfo say"form follows function". The majority of LPS are not found in high energy surf zones. There large puffy polyps:) (flabeloid)are designed to make use of sometimes dodgy light, by expanding like hot air balloons in turbid calm lagoons or estuaries. I have noticed however that some of our local salty dogs that know their bananas(cough) (no names mentioned Alan/Dragon) have done so successfully.

I do believe in my case that lack of colour does relates to energy levels ie light and flow and then in a distant second nutrient levels

Back
Top Bottom