Urgent help needed FrogSpawn

Reaction score
Hi All,

The past 2 days my Hammer head has not been opening and I have noticed some black on the coral, I'm new to this hobby and i'm really worried.

The only thing different that I did 2 days ago was raise my calcium from 390 to 420.

IMG-20130427-WA0001_zpsf81cbcd2.jpg

It looks like "brown jelly". I had the same with my hammer. The coral is unfortunately dying off and it sometimes happens with Euphyllia species. Doesn't necessarily mean you did anything wrong. It can spread however and you need to control it.

Use airline tubing and suck the brown jelly from the coral. Healthy flesh will stay put. Do this a few times a day.

If have a sharp Stanley knive of similar and it's a branching coral you can frag the affected heads off. Looks like both yours is affected.

After sucking up the gunk, do a iodine/saltwater dip for 10 min. I didn't do this as mine went from healthy to dead in one day. It can progress very quickly.

If you see there's no hope, remove it from your tank, it can affect/infect other corals. That why it's better to suck the dead tissue off rather than blow it off with a turkey baster.

Good luck.

From @mytank

1. There is no cure so the quicker you get over it the better trust me dude

2. I tried the following :

X2 40% water changes a week
X2 dips a day with all sorts of iodine, coral dip etc
X amounts of siphoning when I saw brown jelly

Nothing happens. It spreads I lost alot of coral so advise:

1. Take it, out while cutting the head(s) drip iodine over the cut to disinfect and do a final dip a well when done.

2. Keep and monitor it in a hospital tank.

You can salvage the coral just not the heads that we infected.

s

Last edited by a moderator:
:( How does this happen ?

I will try all the methods that everyone has mentioned, Its not cool feeling watching something die in your tank.

Thanks for everyone's advise its much appreciated.

:( How does this happen ?
The jelly is thought to be a mix of dying coral tissue, bacteria, protozoans and possibly other things. The specific culprit is unknown. With so many different microbes present in the slime, it's hard to say which is "causing" the infection and which are just opportunists feeding on the already dying tissue. In any case, it is almost always caused by a physical injury to the coral.

From the Link I posted earlier...:p

Back
Top Bottom