Frogspawn not opening

Slims

Hermit Crab
Reaction score
Hi. I have added 2 Tunze pumps to my DT to increase flow. A day later , some parts of one of my frogspawn corals is not opening properly. Is this related to the increased flow?

image.jpeg

EFJ

Reaction score
It could also be related to your algae bloom that you have posted in another thread. Could also be reacting to your new globes and maybe adjusting to the new flow pattern. My logical guess would be that it is linked to your algae bloom. Check water parameters.

EFJ

Reaction score
It could also be related to your algae bloom that you have posted in another thread. Could also be reacting to your new globes and maybe adjusting to the new flow pattern. My logical guess would be that it is linked to your algae bloom. Check water parameters.

Apollo

Clownfish
Reaction score
Hi. I have added 2 Tunze pumps to my DT to increase flow. A day later , some parts of one of my frogspawn corals is not opening properly. Is this related to the increased flow?
Slims,

How much flow do you currently have in your tank ?
As you have recently added additional flow pumps, my first guess would be that the frogspawn is being blasted a bit and has not had time to adjust as EFJ has mentioned.
The frogspawn would prefer gently swaying in the current and not having its polyps "flattened" by the current.

From the pic though it appears that most of the heads are open and seem to be OK. It is quite normal for some of the heads to retract or not extend fully. I had this with my torch coral as well. The Euphyllia species are sometimes a bit temperamental.
I wouldn't panic just yet. Just observe the coral over the next few days, paying particular attention to the amount of flow being directed at the coral.