Frogspawn as my first coral?

Discussion in 'LPS Corals' started by AntS, 30 Apr 2010.

1. AntS

AntS

It's not actually going to be my 1st coral - I have an open brain thats doing great.

I would really like a frogspawn specimen in my tank, however I have my reservations, which I'm hoping you guys can advise me on. I'm also sure there's other issues I don't know about that you can tell me about.

1) Its aggressive:
    I'm well aware of the stinging sweeper tentacles. Since I have a nano (boyu 450), will the placement of frogspawn mean areas that my fish won't be able to swim nearby. Also, is the size of the tank going to be an issue when I place more corals later on? (i.e should frogspawn be last?)

2) It's allelopathetic
    Guys with experience: will frogspawn seriously affect the growth of my other corals?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Anemone

Anemone

Typically fish will stay away from coral with stinging sweeper tentacles.

Chemical warfare can be an issue with many corals. Running carbon can help. But since you are currently keeping your coral species to a minimal I don't see an immediate problem. Once you start adding a bunch of different coral you may run into issues.

Definately keep the frogspawn away from other coral so that it can not sting others.

Keep up with the water parameters and water changes and you should be fine. Also, let us know what else you intend to add to your tank. As always, pictures are always helpful.

4. Pads

Pads

Hey AntS, I had a torch coral which had sweeper tentacles far longer than a frogspawn and it became a host to my clowns, it may sting other fish but my clowns had no ill effect. But do give it room away from other corals.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2010
  5. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

I have a frogspawn in my little JBJ 12 nano. I have not once seen it release sweeper tentacles. I have quite a few other corals in there too and I have not noticed any issues with growth. In fact, my xenia is going so well I need to frag it every couple weeks, otherwise it will overrun my whole tank.

Recent Posts