Freshy trying to become a Salty... Advice needed please...

Discussion in 'New Members' started by coswecanfly, 26 May 2011.

1. coswecanfly

coswecanfly

Hi all... You guys seem a lot friendlier than the "Freshies" I've been hanging out with.

I've been wanting to start a marine aquarium for years now and I'm finally biting the bullet. I am not asking for too much to start off with...

All I want is a tall-ish nano (85-128l) with a live rock column in the middle, a large anemone and two clown fish (and maybe one or two hermits).

I've been doing a lot of homework on what I need and what I need to do but now the big question. What can I expect to be my initial layout?

Any other advice you feel appropiate will also be dearly appreciated.

Me...

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Tremayn

Tremayn

Welcome boet. Tall tanks are not so lekker because you need long arms and more light, and especially if you want to keep an anemone because they need a lot of light! Check out the for sale threads and you can get a good deal on a tank :) ..This is not a cheap hobby so I would advise you to buy good quality things slowly. It took me a year after I got my tank to actually fill it with water as Im working on a budget here ;) ..
    Read the beginner threads as they have a wealth of info! :)

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

Did you consider the boyu nano tanks? Check them out in the threads, guys have been doing good things with them. You can get them for about R3000

5. Xereo

Xereo

Welcome

ol this is a Budget hobby. Meaning your always on a budget haha :)

6. coswecanfly

coswecanfly Thread Starter

Thanks all...

Keep it coming please... :thumbup:

7. Meneer

Meneer

Welcome...

On gumtree there is full systems going for under 3K as well..

8. Evo R

Evo R

:welcometomasa2:

9. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

Welcome welcome. About your anemone. Its going to take a while before your tanks water is matured enough to add it and by that time you would definitely have added some other corals and stuff.Trust me.So rather read lots and save up enough money to buy a tank that you will love. something will pop up wheter under the new or used section. Check out alot of pictures and see what kinda tanks there are and how cool some of them are before you go out and buy the first one. hope yolu find an awesome tank

10. Tobes

Tobes Retired Moderator

Welcome to MASA, glad you joined us. For starters I suggest you read the link in my signature on starting a marine tank - this will give you great info and advice.
    About the anemone, they need mature tanks with stable water parameters that is at least 9-12 months old. So please, don't add an anemone too early as it will probably die. Clown fish do not need an anemone to survive or be happy. Most clown fishes are captive bred anyway and have never seen a nennie.
    Enjoy the read and ask away ;)

11. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

Welcome to masa, read up and decide what exactly it is you want to keep and how you want to achieve it. will save you money in the long run.!

12. maxisoft

maxisoft

Welcome to Masa... I think the guys have given you some sound advice....now it's up to you... Oh... And don't expect a nennie to stay where you put it..it will live where it decides is the best place in your tank...
    As to the long column in the middle, good luck... Scaping a tank doesn't generally stay the way you planned it in the beginning.... Most corals are territorial and sting others for space, so you scape, then you rescape and then you scape again...;)

13. coswecanfly

You guys are absolutely amazing... All this advice in under 24 hours... Thanks guys and really, keep it coming... :thumbup:

14. coswecanfly

Hi again...

A quick question... I've found a tank that might be suitable... It is established but the setup is not ideally what I want... How would I go about adding live rock to the tank without upsetting and/or killing everything inside?

15. Xereo

Xereo

Always add fully cured live rock

16. coswecanfly

Thank you but do I just stick my hands in and add it with all the organisms in there or do I have to remove them?

17. coswecanfly

Oh, and how do I use pratleys putty? Can I just stick rocks together and put them in with the putty wet? Won't it affect the fish?

18. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

when buying LR always try to keep it submerged in water if lifted out of the water the water drains out of the pores within the rock structure locking air in, the air essentially causes dieback and pollution, before poitioning the rock purchased in its desired location take some time to rotate it when placed in the DT to allow the airbubbles to escape limiting the polution.

you can talke it as is no need to pluck things from it unless they are dying,

pratleys putty will take some time to set so i would suggest placing the rocks together in the DT and tacking them together with some pratleys putty to ensure their stability,
    mix the putty and allow to dry partually, this will make it easier for you to use it under water as less of it will flake off.. it is safe to use uncyred underwater and it will cure over a few hours submersed. it is safe to use withing the tank in the presence of livestock..

19. coswecanfly

Thank you for the advice... Now to hope the tank I'm looking at does not get bought before my salary clears... :biggrin:

20. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

ha ha , yep its always a problem. its good to get a tank to start with and make some mistakes with it. then later on design your own custom tank to meet your requirements :)

good luck..

21. coswecanfly

I'm going to look at a second hand boyu tl550. What should I check before buying?

Recent Posts