Freshwater Greenwater aka Phytoplankton.

Reaction score
Is this green water.?It's my emergency koi pond that I have and it is freshwater. It looks like green water to me. And it get lots of sun outside

leps.jpg

Here is a picture

It does look like green water, but dont think its the "greenwater" that gets fed to newly hatched fish...
Can you perhaps explain what you want to use it for?
True greenwater is phytoplancton, & is found only in oceans if i remember correctly. Freshwater that is green is simply a type of algae...
Also, I wanted to ask you...how long have you been keeping marines? & have you been on masa before? (You "sound" familiar, lol)

Last edited:
Lol no this is actually my second post. I just joined today. MASA has been very helpful to me. But I wanted to use it for rotifers to feed to clownfish fry. What else can I feed to rotifers besides Greenwater. I just can't be culturing 5 things at once. Is there anything else you can feed to rotifers. It would be so helpful.

If i remember correctly, there is one if our members from the cape that has succesfully bred clowns! @dallasg, @carlosdeandrade could perhaps remember...
I havent cultured rotifers before so im not very experienced in this field!

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy who bred clown fish in Cape Town is @LuckyFish, but I haven.t seen him in a while. Have you tried Ocean nutrition rotifirers, its frozen rotifers and your local fish shop should have some try @Perky pets or @Andre@ReefAquatics.
I am not sure that green water is the proper green water as it's fresh water. I could be wrong. @dallasg could help better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Baby clownfish do like moving thing plus the tank would be more maitnece if I fed them frozen.

Baby clownfish do like moving thing plus the tank would be more maitnece if I fed them frozen.

Raising clown fry IS a lot of maintenance! Point!
You're not going to raise a single fry unless you feed them at least 3x per day!!! & do a daily waterchange in a seperate kriesel or quarantine tank with sponge filters!
Trust me... Ive been through the fry raising xcersize... Although it was freshwater fish, it was still LOTS of work & maintenance!

As for the frozen rotifers... You can "train" the clowns to eat frozen by slowly introducing frozen with the live rotifers since they are about a week old...

Last edited:
if that is fresh water in that glass jar it is definitely floating algae. not phyto.. sorry to say but that water will only cause major havoc in a fry tank, so would not recommend using it at all. rather like Carlos said. by from a LFS and be safe or you will have to go into the ocean to get yourself some phyto, some how.

Rather find a start culture of nanochloropsis or tetraselmis phyto for rotifer. FW phyto will die in SW so pass on feeding rotifer FW phyto. Culturing phyto is purdy easy I've had many cultures in the past & would like to get them going again just need to get a start culture.

Last edited:
lets clear up a few things, green water is in essence "algae", most people start it off with various plantgro products, so its not always phyto plankton like Nannochloropsis oculata, Phaeodactylum tricornutum and Chlorella but they still work as the prey still eat it. if you need more nutrition one can always add HUFA's to the mix

Rather find a start culture of nanochloropsis or tetraselmis phyto for rotifer. FW phyto will die in SW so pass on feeding rotifer FW phyto. Culturing phyto is purdy easy I've had many cultures in the past & would like to get them going again just need to get a start culture.

let me know where to get....

To culture green water is simple once you get the start culture, all you need is a container, airstone and lots of light. Then as you use it you top up the container with a 50/50 mixture of freshwater (it can even be regular tap water doesnt have to be RO) and saltwater and it will continue to produce. I keep a small culture going (for no apparent reason) in three 500ml bottles put a small start culture in each topped them up and now i leave them on my patio where they get ample sun, leaving the lids off (i dont even run an airstone on them, just shake the bottles a few times a week), will put a pic up later.

Hi, start mine up with half fresh water and other half green water very very close to the ocean from a river running into the ocean. Very nice fibre glass pond Catch myself 5 kirpers also in river going out to ocean ( walking distant. ) mix the water in go kurpers. In the sun and start changing water slowly with see water so the fish could use to sea water. Have a pond full. Thats how i feed the baby seahorses aswell. This i learn from a prof years back he is a marine biologist.

Back
Top Bottom