Freshwater Bath?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Shanie, 8 Mar 2008.

1. Shanie

Shanie

Hi guys,

Is it necessary to let your new fish that you have just brought home, swim in fresh water for about 3 min, after aclimatising , before you put the fish into the main tank.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Kanga

Kanga Retired Moderator MASA Contributor

If you talking about a freshwater dip, I think you just adding stress, so no I certainly would not

4. Alfie

Alfie

Ideally you should have a small quarintine tank, but if you don,t I agree with Kanga will only create more stress.

5. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

only if he has white spot

6. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Agreed - keep all new fish (and corals too...) in a Q-tank for at least two weeks (3 would be better) before you put them into your display tank. The Q-tank should have the same water quality as the display tank - in fact, you should do large (20% - 50%) water changes on the Q-tank every week, using water from your display tank.

Do NOT give fish any fresh-water dips unless there is an absolute need for this, and then only if you know what you're doing (matching pH and alkalinity, etc.).

Hennie

7. dendrosa

dendrosa Member

I am pro fresh water dips as a routine part of acclimatisation process before fish goes into quarantine for 4 weeks

8. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

i previously had QT tanks but currently nothing.i dont usually do freshwater dips unless its absoloutley necessary.so at the moment,all im doing is placing my fish in my sump for a few days and then releasing them into the display (not something i would advise though)

9. joe

joe

All due respect i think u guys need to do more research on fresh water dips , it reduces stres not increasin it as u suggest. Thats y when u lower salinity to treat white spot etc. it reduces the stres of the fish and strenghthens the fishes immune system.

10. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

Can you tell us where you got this info.

Taking any animal out of its natural enviroment will increase stress. Even catching or trapping animals or fish will stress them.

11. Reef Maniac

Reef Maniac MASA Contributor

Well, if this is true (and I totally disagree) then why bother to add salt - if this is so "stress free" just keep all your marine fish in fresh water - you will have very happy, stress free fish - only problem is, they will be very happy, stress free, DEAD fish :nono:

Joe, there's a huge difference between hyposaline treatment and fresh-water dips.

For one thing, with hyposaline (low salt) treatment the fish are acclimated to the low salinity over a period of hours, and are NOT just placed into pure fresh water. Also, although the salinity is reduced, the alkalinity of the water is kept high, and this ensures a stable pH of 8.1 - 8.4, which is again NOT the case with a casual fresh-water dip. And, of course, hypo-saline treatment is NOT done with fresh water, but with water at a REDUCED salt content.

Here is an extract from an excellent article by Terry D. Bartleme, Stress in Fish

And here's an extract from News from the warfront with Cryptocaryon irritans by the same author:

[FONT=Times New Roman, Times, serif][/FONT]

I've highlighted and underlined the most pertinent parts - in short, hyposaline treatment (at a salinity not less than that of fish blood!) in the short term (weeks, not years...) reduces stress by lowering the osmotic pressure between the water and the fish blood. Lowering the salinity below that of the fish blood would again INCREASE osmotic pressure, and this time in the wrong direction, thus increasing the energy requirement, "flooding" the fish with fresh water and diluting the blood, and increasing stress.

Fresh-water dips can be used as a rather severe medical treatment (much like chemo-therapy in humans, where the body is poisoned in an effort to kill the disease before the person...), but just as our doctors don't treat our common illnesses with chemo, we should restrict fresh-water dips to only when it's really necessary.

Hennie

12. Shaun

Shaun Retired Moderator

13. Alfie

Alfie

Nice info Hennie

14. joe

joe

Guys u know i fully understand ur response, but i personally fwd almost every fish i bought , never quarentined any , and ive never lost fish to desease or ill health . Just a few suicide jumpers. Now im definately stil a beginner but in the last year1/2 ive not even seen a single spot on any fish ive owened, and not many reefers can claim this.

15. Ocean

Ocean Lazy Sea Slug

I think neither are wrong, its just that one works for one person and doesnt for anouther and you two can argue till your lungs go blue.

hope this helps

Recent Posts