fresh water vs. marine

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by mytank, 14 Mar 2011.

1. mytank

mytank

Just wondering did this ever cross your mind when you entered this hobby?

Why did you choose marine over fresh watet? Fresh seems cheaper and less hassle.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Franske

Franske

I had fw at first but marine has so much more micro life and stuf going on and growing by themselves and its much more colourful as a whole

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

most of up started with fresh and move to salt after

5. Tremayn

Tremayn

I had FW ages ago, walked into a pet shop and saw a coral banded shrimp, a clown with a bleached anemone and I was like holy shit.. So I searched the net and joined masa, got another FW as training to get used to maintenance then got a marine tank,, FW is just boring, you get some chiclids which are basically the best FW fish then you get bored of that. With marine you get the most amazing livestock!!

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

Also, when you dream about marines and all you talk about is marines.. Then you know you have to have a marine tank

7. brandonb

brandonb

I agree

8. ziyaadb

ziyaadb

started with FW had 5 tanks going got bored with them and wanted more of a challange and went marine would be very difficult for me to get a FW tank again, the fish are just so dull

9. Tremayn

Tremayn

+1

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Fresh Water = Elementary School
    Marine = Varsity.

cannot compare.

Freshwater = simple, easy to learn, some small colorful fish like neons

marine = complex, loads to learn, all great colorful fishes, plus corals, hermits, shrimps, urchins, worms, bacteria, live rock, anemones, ...... There are so much more variety, multiple options, just knowing what goes together can keep you busy.

11. maxisoft

maxisoft

Well put. And when I did have BATH WATER in my tanks, I never lost a single nights sleep.... With marines, it stops being a hobby and becomes a lifestyle. Recreating a marine eco-system in your lounge is the ultimate. When your tank has cycled and you place your first bit of livestock after waiting a couple of months and they live, thrive and then those colours start to fill out, you realise then what the true difference is...:thumbup:

12. KeeganP

KeeganP

:eek: coz u cant put zoas in fresh water....! :blush:

13. fly*

fly* MASA Contributor

Had both FW and marine and marine wins hands down for biodiversity. Nearly every week you're finding something new, that doesn't happen with freshwater. In actual fact, I find FW harder, there seems to be way more bacteria and crap in the water than in marine. Fish get disease a lot easier than with saltwater. Also I can control the quality of the water with marine via RO, in FW you have to deal with what the municipality gives you. Another thing is, I found FW algae a lot harder to deal with because of this.

Saying that though, all the FW fish are tank bred and it's one thing I really don't like with marine, the fact that a lot of the critters come straight out the ocean and the mortality rate is pretty high before the poor guys even land.

14. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

riaan, i am sure you are aware that fresh water tanks can be just as complicated as marine tanks, with even more dosing and so on. . . .

If you want something spectacular (frsh or salt) is when it gets complicated and expensive usually.

Last edited: 14 Mar 2011
  15. Dane

Dane

As a general statement, I think its fair to say the complexity of freshwater tanks doesnt even come close to the complexity of marine tanks.
    Sure, some of the most complex freshwater tanks are as or more complex than some of the least complex marine tanks... But - thats just a little overlap. The most complex marine tanks leave freshwater behind in leaps and bounds. Both in complexity and beauty.

And yes, that IMHO.

16. Tony

Tony

I wouldn't be so frivolous with freshwater fish/tanks. Some freshwater fish are damn difficuilt to keep and require a lot of knowledge and dedication

17. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

ok, let me clarify,
    Freshwater, as in standard tropical, molies, guppies swordtails. Also setups for Malawi's, quite hardy and do even breed and some fry actually grew to adulthood in a mix malawi tank. Simple setups, as in you feed them, and clean the canister once a month.

I know discus fish are the ultimate. (as far as I know). And they are a lot more tricky. So yes, I believe some freshwater systems can be complicated. But generally speaking, the freshwater tanks you do get are setups for kids.

18. KeeganP

KeeganP

I think what Riaan is saying, is freshwater tanks are for your kid's growing up, a nice starter pet for them to start being responsible and have something to look at, Then you get marine which is a big boy toy :biggrin:

19. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yes:thumbup:

20. rakabos

rakabos

21. KeeganP

KeeganP

you mean Zoas :yeahdude::biggrin:

Recent Posts