Fresh Sea water

Reaction score
For how long can you keep collected seawater in your containers before putting into a tank.

I get water from Two oceans and would like to know if you can keep it in the containers and if , for how long and under what conditions.

Cheers

Reaction score
I used to only have 25l containers and would fill them all up once every two months never had a prob just kept them in the garage under some blavk plastic.

Oh and dont forget do not use the last bit in the container it will have all the die off in it,

Might be a good idea to strain, or sive the water before you use it.

Reaction score
Will it be any problem with the temp in my garage getting close to 40 degrees.

Reaction score
Hot you say! Sometimes here in Paarl we hope it will get hot, so that the temp can be 5 degrees lower than normal. ( normal would be like very warm)

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Generally use NSW with in a couple of hours of collection, if you cant then store out of sunlight in a cool place for a minimum of 2weeks before use there after you can store as long as you like.

Reaction score
Generally use NSW with in a couple of hours of collection, if you cant then store out of sunlight in a cool place for a minimum of 2weeks before use there after you can store as long as you like.

Alan, do you mean "store' or can you actually still use it after the two weeks/

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
The general rule of thumb is either use the freshly collected sea water within an hour of collecting it, after this time period apparently things start to die off in the water, so if you can't get it into your tank within the 1st hour, then put the water in your garage and leave it for 2 weeks, after 2 weeks it will be safe to use again, just don't use the bottom 5 or so centimetres as this will contain all of the dead plankton etc. Whatever water you don't use you can still store for a couple of months until you want to use it again.

Alan

Admin
Reaction score
Sorry didn't explain myself properly but yip Viper hit the nail on the head.

Reaction score
seawater.

i have been using saltwater taken from melkbostrnd for a while, i haventt treated it in any special way, doing 10percent water change every week. maybe i am lucky but i dont have any ill effects, i supplement with funky old reef mud, calcium cloride and carbonate, and bicarbonate.

dendrosa

Reaction score
Two oceans have been known to have ph swings in their water. Re aerate water and match parameters ( temp, ph ) before using. Otherwise ,water can be stored indefinitely

Reaction score
Thanks Dendrosa, I'll keep this in mind when I start using the water.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Another thing Sanders/dendrosa - remember - 2 Oceans' water is many times over filtered (it goes through 10 filtering drums with different filter media in it) before it goes into the storage container where we get the wate from..... I have NEVER smelt any die-off from the water I collected, and I had water stand for between 2 weeks and a month..... the water "smells" as fresh as the time that I get it...

The amount that I change I do it via my sump, so the skimmers remove any possible die-off as well from the water before it can really cause crap in my tank.