Fresh fish.

Discussion in 'New Members' started by Krulle, 18 Mar 2010.

1. Krulle

Krulle

Hi there to all the marine aquarists. Thanks for this great site, already have learned alot!
    Just to introduce myself, here is a few things about me.
    I am living in Hermanus for all my life now and really diggs the sea. Hobbies is bodyboarding, kite surfing RC cars and anything with engines.

I have been keeping busy with a 100l tropical tank for quite a wile now but finally switched over to a marine tank. I am very exited about the change and defenitely need to work at patience. Something I never had but still going strong.

I have got myself a 250l tank with 120l sump with all the extras eg. skimmer, lights, power heads heaters and updraft pump. The tank is now in the cycling process for about a week and have introduced the tank with 1.5kg of live rock.... hehe and obviously sand with carbon activated particles. (Whatever that does) As I sed, I am new to marine.

Would like to find out if its a good idea to introduce live rock in the cycling process and what the best ways are in cycling the tank.

Thanks again for this great site and looking forward in chatting with all the other aquarists.

Regards,
    Jaco

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Welcome, what kind of skimmer, lights and power heads did you get ?

4. crispin

crispin

hello jaco :) well done on joining and getting your first post up :)

a 250l tank is great and nice that you ahve a sump and a whole stack of equipment, now just to check that its suitable equipment. Let us help you along and if you post the makes and model of the skimmer, return pump and internal pumps we can see if its all good :)

i was a little confused (dont worry its easy to confuse me) when you said that you have sand with carbon activated particles? Do you mean there is carbon mixed in with sand? or is it that you have aragonite and a section in the sump with activated carbon in it?

its a realy good idea if you can post a pic of your tank as it is now and we can see if we can help you along a bit.

about that patience thing you battle with.....youve got to learn to go slow with marines, if you dont things go badly wrong and fast. you will get lots of advice on MASA and we will do all we can to help your tank and its live stock thrive under your care, but when guys say 'slow down' its normally best to listen:)

welcome and happy postings

5. scubaninja

scubaninja

welcometomasa

6. flipwhip

flipwhip

Welcome to MASA…...:thumbup:

7. clinton stanford

clinton stanford

welcome:thumbup:

8. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

Welcome...

9. Krulle

Krulle Thread Starter

Hey everyone, thank you all for the warm welcome.

Here is a bit more about my tank, I have actually bought myself 10kg of live rock last week for a massive bargain, couldent resist.. :) O, and CRISPIN that sand stuff I mentioned last time, how I understood that this guy told me is that there is carbon particles mixed with the sand?!?? I was confused aswell.

I dont know musch about the equipment, but here goes:

1x Astro 4000 Updraft (2900L/h)
    Styleking SP2500A Submersable Filter (Power Head??)
    AZOO Power Skimmer (Thats all it says on it)
    2x Heaters
    1x Coral Sun 36" 914mm 30w
    1x Marine Glo 36" 914mm 30w

I have also added a Cloud Damsil after a few days of introducing the live rock. Am I on the right track?? :) I personally think I should add more lighting to the tank. And at what stage can I add more live stock?

Thanks again everyone, greatly appreciated!

Regards

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Krulle - A VERY WARM (belated) WELCOME to MASA! Great to have you on-board!

Do you even have test kits? I would suggest that you start off with your next purchase, being marine test kits....

Then - please post the water parameters of the following:
    - ammonia
    - nitrite
    - nitrate
    - pH
    - salinity
    - temperature

Also - the hardware that you listed, is OK'ish for a "FISH ONLY" tank..... but even the fish just MIGHT struggle surviving long-time....

It is very important to know what your water parameters are, before you add fish, corals or any other lifestock.....

Good luck mate!

11. FransSny

FransSny

Hi Jaco

Welcome to MASA & a new addiction !!

12. mnd123

mnd123

Welcome Jaco, you say you have added a fish already? You may want to hold off until your tank is cycled before adding livestock

13. colbar

colbar

:welcometomasa2:
    As everyone (who has learnt the hard way, believe you me) says PLEASE, PLEASE take things very slowly and you will be successful. Dont rush it, it's just not worth it and causes a lot of heartache and a big waste of bucks.

Recent Posts