Fresh coarse beach sand VS aragonite sand from LFS

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by brentch, 12 Jul 2011.

1. brentch

brentch

Hello,

I've seen some reefers use very coarse beach sand (~3mm+ grains) for their substrate. If I can get fresh clean sand is it better than aragonite? Or what about a combination of the two?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. eric.f

eric.f

I don't know about better - but its much cheaper -
    I am still running bare bottom , thinking about substrate , but finding cleaning much easier than previous tank.
    Still think black aragonite(?) looks cool!:tt2:

Last edited: 12 Jul 2011
  4. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I think if you can afford to get aragonite get it. The black looks awesome. Its rather expensive but worth it. If you collect beach sand,collect at low tide under the water level. And make sure that you dont collect to coarse substrate. You wont be able to get sand sifters and it will collect detritus. Beach sand works 100%. Its made for it by mother nature.

5. crispin

crispin

do a search on masa for 'substrate' this topics been discussed from every angle before and you will learn alot by reading old threads.

personally i see three primary options for substrate and in order of preferance thats
    bright white aragonite
    well washed play sand
    beachsand.

the problem i have with beach sand is that the colour looks very odd in tanks and it absorbs alot of light- its cheap, but often too course and trapped detritus, or has broken shells fragments which are sharp, and often metals or pollution of some form.

aragonite is normally the best but expensive, although i think worth the cost, even if its just for the fact that its heavier than play sand and doesnt blow around in the display tank so much. a number iof reefers have problems with this.

6. brentch

brentch Thread Starter

Thanks guys,

Yes sorry, I realized there are alot of threads with this topic:blush:

7. crispin

crispin

no worries, i was only suggesting it as there is a wealth of info in there:)

8. Duri

Duri

I have fine beach sand in my tank, collect at muizenburg beach/strand;)

this works well for me... live bacteria etc take from the wet solid sand :thumbup:

It is natural :thumbup:

9. pXius

pXius

Playsand for me, was a mission to get the powerheads positioned for maximum flow without making a sand storm, but pass that part and you're good to go. :)

10. Elrond

Elrond

brentch - I used beach sand in my last system without any worries. I'm using a combination of 50% aragonite and 50% beach sand in my new system in the DT. It's clean, crisp white and my diamond goby so far seems to enjoy sifting through it. Since I added the goby my substrate is brilliant white and very clean! I use aragonite only in my DSB in the sump.

11. brentv

brentv

Brench, I noticed you live in Toti!!!
    My suggestion, Best.. Best Substrate by far is collection 'True' live coral sand off a deep reef (If you scuba or know someone that does?!)
    I've done this before... it is full of life really good filteration material, has corraline growth on it,bugs everywhere and has got that pure white look for light reflection.
    Also works unbelievably a a thin surface layer on your DSB to start or increase your fauna down there!!!:thumbup:

12. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

That sounds like the ideal substrate and unbelievable. :yeahdude:

Recent Posts