Freebie Forum

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Schalkdk, 17 Mar 2010.

1. Schalkdk

Schalkdk

Hi Boys and Girls.
    As a newbie to marine tanks I was Shocked to see the prices of all the equipment needed. It’s a very big investment for something that you’re not really sure you’ll get the hang of.

Talking to some of the local guys I found out that many of them started their tanks on the generosity of Hand Me Downs from friends and fellow hobbyist.

So I think it’s a great idea to start as Freebie forum. For all that old stuff in the back of your garage that would make a newbie very happy not to mention how many lives you might save (Fish and corals).

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. scubaninja

scubaninja

Here's a freebie :
    Dont put fish and corals in a tank with no equipment;)

But onto your actual idea, it sounds good, i mean we all to some extent have equipment that nobody will buy, be it that they dont work so well, or that they are outdated, so if somebody can make use of them instead of them being put in a rubbish bin why not? I guess it would need to be controlled somehow, cause a nice idea like this with good intentions could get very ugly

4. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

NSW is free :razz:

5. Boegie

Boegie

Good idea. My son-in-law took a photo the other day of a sump lying in someones backyard used for garbage. Really thick glass as well. Still want to go and collect.

6. Schalkdk

Schalkdk Thread Starter

That was exactly what I was thinking. IF a newbie gets his tank going on some Hand me down gear and he or she gets hooked, they would almost certainly do the investment to get better hardware. I use to be very involved with SCUBA training and we often got new divers that went all out to buy fancy top of the range gear only to stop diving soon after they completed their course. And on the other hand we have seen many wanabe divers that would no-doubt be very mush in to it, but end up not doing the course because they don’t have the funds to do the initial startup cost.

7. Rory

Rory Admin MASA Contributor

I had a thread giving away some old pumps/filters/etc. Some people showed some interest but don't think I had even one person collect anything... Not really worth bothering to take pics, upload, start a thread, etc.

8. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

That is why there is a For Sale forum. Just put stuff you do not want anymore for a reasonable price. New owner is happy, got it cheap, and you are lucky, got some money for another fish / coral / mushroom / beer or whatever you want or need.

9. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

some stuff just cant be sold or even given away for that matter Riaan :razz:

10. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes agree,

Last year I had a lot of hermits and snails (Nerita's and Turbo Coronatus) that I gave away. Free, good home, take if you want it. Three people were interested.

11. scubaninja

scubaninja

yeah, well there might not always be people needing something when we have them, so one localised continuous thread, where a month or two down the line someone can say hey, you still have that pump lying around? kind of thing

12. Boegie

Boegie

Now snails I would like. Can't see spending R40 for a snail and my knowledge is not good enough to get from the beach, except for kokkels.

13. vatso

vatso

I still have them Snails not one has died & the hermits is going great was well

some one was looking for some free frags - I did offer a piece of star polyp for free but did not get a pm - still have it & will give it away just pm me to collect

I am in JHB

14. wukkie

wukkie

I would love some free frags, but my tank is not ready to put coral in as yet. I am doing a few changes as well to the sump. When things are working again, and up and running i will do a post for free frags.

15. xtreme

xtreme

Oh sucks, and I'm in Namibia, wanted the frags too!!

16. Schalkdk

Schalkdk Thread Starter

:thumbup:Well said it does not mean you have it someone needs it.:thumbup:
    Ok seeing that I started this debate, Ill go out on a limb. My tank is still dry :( so it will be sometime before I will need any Livestock. However, I will be willing to take almost any hardware for the tank :thumbup:. If it is in need of some attention, I will give it the attention.:biggrin:
    I am in Durban and will be more than willing to come and collect.
    So how would we go about adding on of these Freebie Fulltime Forums?
    :nono:PS: The last thing I want is for someone to take a freebie, only to post it on the For Sale forum so there must be something in place to prevent that from happening. :nono:

17. scubaninja

scubaninja

thats why i said it needs to be controlled somehow. But maybe it should be said, that if you offer something up for free, and the guy who then takes it and sells it, you have given it up knowing it was a possibility and all you can really do is say shame on you to the guy who sold it. It will only hurt their reputation and he/she just wont be given anything anymore.

18. Dane

Dane

Ah no! I'm the one that was so desperate for frags!!! :p Anyone with softies?? Why are the capies so shnoep to share! :p A freebie forum is a great idea! Anyone got an old, tiny little pump or old HOB that they don't want? I'm building a little perspex fuge for the back of my mantis shrimp tank...

19. Manic

Manic Moderator

In my opinion the freebie forum is a bad idea if not controlled properly, mainly because you will get one idiot that just takes everything even if they don't need it.

20. mnd123

mnd123

I give most of my SPS frags away for free, either to visiting reefers or to desperate reefers (took some small frags to Brandonb in Cape Town after his wipeout this week)

If I have frags I will let folks have the smaller bits NC, the larger ones I do sell

21. nakoma

nakoma

i think it is a good idea but you can list something in the for sale forum as well and just say it is for free instead of charging for it

Recent Posts