Free flow skimmer intake

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmers, Mechanical Filtration' started by RiaanP, 20 Jun 2013.

1. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

This is a mod done long ago on my Aquamedic Shorty skimmer.

I do believe that almost any skimmer can be modified the same way. Actually here is 3 modifications in this one picture.

[​IMG]

1. Basically the airline tube is replaced by a much thicker line. Pull the airline off the venturi inlet. Use any suitable cap and drill a small hole in it so it just fits tightly over the venturi inlet. Use any PVC pipe that fits into the cap. Can use a bit of silicone between pipe and cap.

Skimmer can breath in air a lot easier. But if your sump is open, note that it will make a lot of sucking noise. Like a ventilator stuck on in. So you need to be in a cabinet. Or add mod 2

2. You can use the second modification as can be seen on top of the green PVC pipe. I got a 5m flexible pipe 20mm connected to the top of the green pipe, that goes through the wall and suck new fresh air from my garage area. Then I do not recirculate the same old air in my cabinet. Fresh air, plus its silent. I just use masking tape to ensure a fit.

3. The last modification as can be seen is a 6mm airline from my ozone reactor, entering the 20mm flexible hose just above the green pipe. It do have a short piece that goes down the green pipe.

If this modification does not work for you, then your skimmer is still intact, just put your old airline tube back.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. mukesh

mukesh

Hey @RIAAN, I run my skimmer on the same principal just that i added a air control valve at the end of the air intake for wet or dry skimming, works like a charm

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  4. RiaanP

RiaanP Thread Starter Moderator

clever...
    On my skimmer I just swivel that white 50mm PVC on the right so that the elbow is higher.

5. Nemeziz_za

Nemeziz_za

Nice one RiaanP and by using cooler outside air at night time (potentially your garage air is also cool) you can help stabalise PH.

As mentioned here

MistaOrange likes this.
  6. MistaOrange

MistaOrange

7. mukesh

mukesh

To cut out the sucking noise, I created an inline ' baffle silencer', basically a larger diameter pipe about 10cm long that is attached inline to your air intake , this absorbs the noise simlar to a vehicle exhaust box, this helps especially if the D.T is far from an outside wall , thanks again @RIAAN.

Recent Posts