Free Chaetomorpha

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Hi all

I will be pruning my Chaeto this weekend and will be able to send 5 handfuls of chaeto to whoever wants. Please PM me your postal address.

Cheers

Reaction score
may I ask why ? lol

viper357

Admin
Reaction score
Because I gave you some last time and you killed it.....you kill everything :tt2:

Reaction score
ha that was from hill you were to mean all yo gave me was like 20 kilos of coral

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
What is chaeto?
Bruce, Cheatomorpha is a type of MacroAlgae that we use in our tanks as algae scrubbers for nutrient export.

i.e. Cheato use nitrate and phosphate to grow, hence removes it out of the system

Reaction score
can I send someone to fetch some by you? where in PE are you?

Reaction score
Hi Timmyus
I am in Westering in PE. If you want some and can send someone, Liqaquat often comes to PE and knows where I stay.

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
can I send someone to fetch some by you? where in PE are you?
Timmyus - you can get some at the LFS in Bree Str - otherwise I can give you some. I work in CT CBD - and stay in Table View/Parklands.... Please let me know which you would prefer. I would harvest some this coming weekend to give to you.... (cannot give TOO much, but it should be enough to start you out, though).... I have JUST gotten mine from the LFS in Bree Str, as well as gotten some from Kanga....

Reaction score
Bruce, Cheatomorpha is a type of MacroAlgae that we use in our tanks as algae scrubbers for nutrient export.

i.e. Cheato use nitrate and phosphate to grow, hence removes it out of the system
But can it not grow itself like other algae?

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Sabi - the thing with Chaetomorpha is, that it does not release spores into the water, that could perhaps get stuck in the live rock - therefore starting to grow "from nowhere"....

That's why reefers have to shares pieces of chaetomorpha with each other - and in such a way propagate it....

Caulerpa release spores into the water which gets stuck in the tiniest of pieces of live rock or corals.... (they are extremely tiny - you would not see them with your naked eye).... And as such, they seem to appear from "nowhere"...

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Unfortunately Cheato needs to be introduced to your tank, fortunately most reefers have it and will share happily.

Your welcome to some when your tank is up and running