Fred d's 4 foot mix

Reaction score
Hi everyone . The time has come to post some details of om aquarium . Its a reef with a lot of different stuff innit ... I wanna try and keep all sorts of stuff and then see what happens .

My focus , for now will be in creating a home for a handfull of fish that's pleasing to the eye as well as functional for the fish .

The display is 1200 x 450 x 450 with a straight forward drilled 50mm sidepanel an the leftside upper rear corner . There's a T-piece on the outside to allow venting of the downpipe to get stuff quiet , it works like a bomb . There's about 30mm of aragonite as substrate . Also have around 30kg of liverock arranged into 3 main scapes \ islands and monngst these I have some xenia , mushrooms , a small frogspawn , a small frag of birdsnest , a green elkhorn , all sorts of macro and coraline algae .

Flow is done with a 3000lph and a 6000lph sunsun head respectively across the length of the tank as well as a 1100lph canister filter rotating the water across the top of the display towards the longer front panel .

Lighting is by means of a DIY 5 x 54w T5 unit with 2 x white , 2 x blue and 1 x pink tubes . A diy moonlight is also mounted in the same lighting setup and has 2 sets of 5 blue led sets

Sump is 1100 x 40 x 35. Floss and live rock in the first overunder chamber , really large dsb (about 15cm deep) with natural seasand and a refugium with caulerpa in the second chamber (about 70cm long) and then a SL1000 aquamesic skimmer as well as its pump and a atman 3500lph return pump in the 3rd chamber . The skimmer returns into second chamber onto some live rock in the dsb . A diy ato keeps the waterlevel constant in the 3rd chamber .

10% water changes are done weekly with water from 2 oceans aquarium and I supplement weekly at waterchanges with seachem fusion 1 & 2 (calcium and Kh) . I have phosguard and seachem matrix carbon in the canister filter .

green%20encrusting.jpg

fox%20and%20fly.jpg

IMG_0001.jpg

Is a local fish ... Marley's butterfly , also goes by doublesash butterly

I just love those doublesash butterfly's ... I also have 2 juveniles, & yes they are reef safe. They love to eat pods & other inverts... So dont even think about adding sexy shrimps.

just check that this ball of hair does not take over your tank
attachment.jpg

@Fred d, if i were you, i would rather remove the whole rock with the bryopsis algae & feed the foxface with seaweed than take a risk of having your entire tank taken over by it... Trust me... Its not worth the risk.
Ive had to completely restart one of my previous tanks because of bryopsis...
Even my seahare couldnt keep up with the rate it grows & multiplies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely looking Tank their Fred.... Looks nice and mature and I agree with the hair algae, its good to have a nice natural grazing spot for the fish, but if u keeping it from spreading then no worries ...how's about a closeup of equip ie lights ,skimmer etc and ofcourse a FTS

Thanks for the advice @Visser . So far as giving nori , I do hey . every second or 3rd day I add some nori soaked in garlicguard to keep them healthy and they love it . I read that giving a few different types of food keeps them healthy .

Pics of the lighting , flow and engineroom to follow @stci1000 . I am keeping a close eye on the hair algae , I am in 2 minds if I should take it out and the foxface picks at it on a regular basis .

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom