Frasers 3 foot mixed reef

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks' started by Fraser W, 14 Nov 2013.

1. Fraser W

Fraser W Swazi Reefer

Hi all just wanted to start a new tank thread as my old thread was in the beginners section and was forgotten about with no regular updates. I think ive come along way from there not saying im not still learning as every day you learn something new about reef keeping and marine life. I have been a member for a while and really learnt a lot from this site and the members visiting it and i dont think i would be at the stage i am with my tank. So i think its time i moved my thread to the 130-500 liter tank thread

Equipment List

Filtration
    Skimmer: Bubble Magnus Curve 9
    Refuguim With Cheato and few other Macros

Circulation
    Return : 1000 L/PH (ell cheapo)
    Return To Refuguim: 700 L/ph (ell cheapo)
    2x Seio 2000 L/PH Wave makers

Lighting
    1x Quad oddesy 39 Watt fixture
    1x Vertex (Blue + White) 60 Cm 40 Watt Led

[​IMG]

This Is how i started my tank build. Built by me and friend at the early stages of of our new found hobby. With sump to the side with 2 cambers 1 for skimmer and the other the return. Few weeks in woke up to find water all around the tank with no visible leakes removed rock and and 2 clown fish that were in the tank to a storage container drained the tank removed sand and found that the base had cracked..

2nd attempt

[​IMG]

Removed all the compartment to the side and built myself a sump with overflow across the back of the tank tank has been crack free since just had few problems with the overflow connector leaking but nothing a bit of silicone couldn't fix

[​IMG]

Tank a few weeks in and after a few visits to the pet shops thing had few zoas and hammer coral and some mushrooms

[​IMG]

Side shot with the newly installed frag rack and 15 liter refuguim

Monti that has really colored up and is a splendid green
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

and these r the frags that i have just made

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And then it come to November 2013 oh this tank was started Late January 2013

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. EFJ

EFJ MASA Contributor

Looking good!!!

4. HOT SAUCE

HOT SAUCE

this is a awesome tank the pictures don't do it any justice. one needs to see it in person :)
    the amazing thing ia that Fraser keeps everything so simple without going crazy on additives and expensive equipment and yet the tank looks stunning. i would even say way better than some tanks i've seen on the net where people have spent tens of thousands on equipment etc.

5. Fraser W

Fraser W Thread Starter Swazi Reefer

thanks @EFJ and @HOT SAUCE yes the tank is very simple to run and maintain the only regular maintenance that is done on the tank is regular water changes and I dose seachem reef builder 2 times a week and I top off evaporated water in the morning and the evening when I get back from work also the tank glass is scraped from algae 3 times a week or when im in the mood.. I think the cheato in the refuguim has helped keep alot of the nutrients in check

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  6. Fraser W

I believe that to run a tank that is hassle free is to make sure that you run a decent protein skimmer and do not overstock the tank with to many waste producing livestock.. In the next month or so I will be adding 3 reactors 1 with purigen and one with phosban and the 3rd have a small amount of activated carbon

7. Istio

Istio

Looking good mate :thumbup: Have you got the stock tubes in the Odysea or have you changed them out?

8. Fraser W

@Istio i am using the stock lighting that came with the fixture next week i will be purchasing 2 fixtures with ati tubes so i will document the differences there between the standard tubes and the ATI tubes. I want to Put 10X39 Watt tubes over my tank for a total of 390 watts over 131 litres of water giving me a total of 11.1 watts per gallon should be enough for any type of sps coral according to GARF who propagate the corals under 10 watts per gallon

9. seank

seank

Nice progress pics. Your tank does look nice and more mature :)

10. Fraser W

thanks for the comment its has taken alot of patience and lots of learning to get to where I am today and I thank all on masa who have helped and given adbice to me on some aspects of the tank.. I will wait for this yank to hit 2 years before I upgrade as I want it to look old and well grown

11. Fraser W

in january next year I will be adding an mp40 that I am getting from another reefer on this site just need to save up for it and he is kind enough to hold onto it for me.

12. Fraser W

I found this Polyclad Flatworm in my refuge tank few months ago and thought it was a really awesome looking critter have read that it is a big no no for display tank but i dont saw what harm it can do in the refugium

[​IMG]

13. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Those big flatworms seems to be reefsafe. In refugium they will be fine. But you will hardly see it.

14. Fraser W

I have a sun coral in this refuguim tank that i try and feed at least 3 times a week the tank is only 10 liters so i actually see the worm quite regularly when there is extra food around the tank but i think it eats my stomatella snails because i can see their shells scattered around the sand bed[​IMG]

Last edited: 16 Nov 2013
Recent Posts