Frans's Ultra Shallow Reef

I like dude! Following this one closely!

I think it looks awesome. Maybe I should add some of this on my substrate. Do you think itll look o.k. When you come get the gsp frag you can tell me what itll look like. If that algaes can take out some bad crap out the water then im keen. anything thatll help untill I can afford to upgrade my skimmer.

Thanx for the positive comments guys . I am actually also quite please , but still early days

@Charl_Stanhope , you can add macro algea to your tank. It will help with nutrient export.

@ 459b, thanx dave...that looks awesome, I will have to search around for some.

@ everyone else...what about pH swings....?

Last edited by a moderator:
And there is LIFE!!! Looking good Frans. This is gonna be a stunning setup - I can sommer see it. Something totally different, and I like different...

It's about time someone moves away from the "normal" coral tanks and go with a lagoon setup. I like, and vot this thread 5 star!!!

Are you planning on putting any plate corals on the massive sanded you have? and a few small gobies. I might copy this build in a few years, dono if i will go this shallow tho.

Awesome build Frans! It's looking great!

Thanx Slagter

Are you planning on putting any plate corals on the massive sanded you have? and a few small gobies. I might copy this build in a few years, dono if i will go this shallow tho.

No Johan , That area will be algea only...something like a "matt" is what I am aiming for ...will have plenty space for pods and then I can get a mandarin :)

And there is LIFE!!! Looking good Frans. This is gonna be a stunning setup - I can sommer see it. Something totally different, and I like different...

It's about time someone moves away from the "normal" coral tanks and go with a lagoon setup. I like, and vot this thread 5 star!!!

Thanx Jaco...ja , I really felt like doing something a bit different

Ok , over the last two weeks the experiment has turned quite "interesting".

Most of the red macro algea seems to be battling a bit, my reading on the net (not always a good source :blush:) seems to suggest it might be a Mg related issue , so I am slowly increasing this to see what happens.

The Sea Lettuce (Ulva sp.) I added seemed to have spawned, resulting in neon green strands ( no it's not GHA :)), but it might also be spores brought in from the pools. I would like to hear comments from the pro's if possible This has however turned into a breeding ground off sorts for pods & microfauna ....so I am in two minds about this

I have added the first inmate & some "tough" corals:

1 Bi Colour Dottyback . Yes I know they are terrors in the long run , but actually quite cool to see how he goes into the "algea farm" looking for food. Also hoping on the space I have and low stocking density , he wont cause too much issues.

1 x Xenia (thanx Henk) - As all xenia...looking good

1 x GSP Frag (thanx Charl) - battled for a few days to open , but now doing ok.

PROBLEMS :

Deciding what to do about my macro algea bloom..Ulva is an agressive sp and it could probably overrun a tank.

Sorting out the issues with my Tunze controller as I am not getting the flow patterns 100 %

As usal crit , comments and thoughts would be appreciated :)

Most of the red macro algea seems to be battling a bit, my reading on the net (not always a good source ) seems to suggest it might be a Mg related issue , so I am slowly increasing this to see what happens

I also read or heard about this fransm BTW this build lokks cool so far

Most of the red macro algea seems to be battling a bit, my reading on the net (not always a good source :blush:) seems to suggest it might be a Mg related issue , so I am slowly increasing this to see what happens.

The Sea Lettuce (Ulva sp.) I added seemed to have spawned, resulting in neon green strands ( no it's not GHA :)), but it might also be spores brought in from the pools. I would like to hear comments from the pro's if possible This has however turned into a breeding ground off sorts for pods & microfauna ....so I am in two minds about this

1 Bi Colour Dottyback . Yes I know they are terrors in the long run , but actually quite cool to see how he goes into the "algea farm" looking for food. Also hoping on the space I have and low stocking density , he wont cause too much issues.

PROBLEMS :

Deciding what to do about my macro algea bloom..Ulva is an agressive sp and it could probably overrun a tank.

Sorting out the issues with my Tunze controller as I am not getting the flow patterns 100 %

mmmm this SOUNDS like its good but we need pics to give a true comment:tt2:

PROBLEMS :

that sounds very cool frans but it means nothing without PICS
:lol:

Last edited:
that sounds very cool frans but it means nothing without PICS
:lol:

[/COLOR]

mmmm this SOUNDS like its good but we need pics to give a true comment:tt2:

LOL guys ...after all this time I should probably know the "rules" ;)

In the meantime I have removed all the large Ulva colonies and it seems to be working as the long spawn strands are almost disappearing.

As for LS added a hammer frag which is doing well , although the Starry Polyps are still behaving erratically (opens nicely then ignores me for a day or so...:p)

Also added a Lamarck angel and as soon as he gets over his shyness I will post some pics ! Although not as colourfull as other Angels actually a beautiful fish (thanx Trev)

O yes....and finally installed the sump .....now I need to find space for the external skimmer as the sump takes up all the space

4 weeks! 4 weeks since the last pic and then it was only of fugly algae! im about to unsubscribe from this thread!

pic update darn it :)

LOL guys ...after all this time I should probably know the "rules" ;)

In the meantime I have removed all the large Ulva colonies and it seems to be working as the long spawn strands are almost disappearing.

As for LS added a hammer frag which is doing well , although the Starry Polyps are still behaving erratically (opens nicely then ignores me for a day or so...:p)

Also added a Lamarck angel and as soon as he gets over his shyness I will post some pics ! Although not as colourfull as other Angels actually a beautiful fish (thanx Trev)

O yes....and finally installed the sump .....now I need to find space for the external skimmer as the sump takes up all the space

I love the lamark angels I think they are neat and tidy angels not alot of colors but nice lines. The best part is the size of these one I got is perfect. And then ofcourse its a genicanthus.

Thanks goes to you bud

Trev

Got my first sticks !

With the idea of moving from a softy / LPS environment on one side of the tank to a SPS environment , I got my first sticks today (Thanx Johan).

1 x Blue Purple Monti Digidata
1 x Green Branching Monti
1 x Green Hydnopora

Not being able to add large colonies on large pieces of rock makes me revert to frags (also minimizes the chances of unwanted hitchhikers such as Aptasia)

But slowly it will get there

@crispin & @Jaco Schoeman the Angel is past its shyness so I will post a pic or two tomorrow :tt2:

Last edited by a moderator:
great news frans, a few hard spikey pieces of coral always make a tank look good :) although those sps aint that spikey-----birds nest it :)

Back
Top Bottom