Frags wanted

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by timmyus, 17 Jan 2008.

1. timmyus

timmyus

Hi guys I am busy setting up a 1.2 meter tank and thinking of using it as a coral farm to grow coral frags for my soon to get display tank. Do anyone know where I could get frags in cape town?? I am thinking of keeping softies as I hear its the easiest to keep for biginners. Setup as follows

1.2m with sump 4 chambers
    Currently their is a jebo skimmer (dont worry gonna replace that with Ts1 Seems everyone agrees that this is a good skimmer to get for value $$$$.
    1 chamber will be the skimmer
    2 chamber will be macro algae
    3 chamber thnking of using as refugium with live sand( or if you have other suggestions let me know
    4 return pump

T5 lighting 4 whites 2 actinics will be adding more later down the line hopefully MH

Other equipment I will be getting again still twisting wifeys arm, but I want to get calcium and phosphate reactor.

what do u guys think?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Hi Timmyus - I think it is a VERY good idea for a frag farm. If more people did this, and cheaply sold, and/or traded frags in the industry, more people would be able to afford corals - AND less corals would be taken from the wild.

Look - I know that one requires decent water parameters to keep corals (or so it is said) - but taking into account that some soft-corals (zoanthids, mushrooms (collarimorphs, etc), leathers, etc) grow better with a SLIGHTLY raised nitrate level, then your setup would be perfect to start off with.... Just ensure that the water has been decently cycled (wait at least 4 weeks before adding lifestock), perhaps add a DSB in both the main tank as well as the sump (this will ensure more than enough food for the corals as well - while getting rid of detritus naturally - by letting the detritus provide food for the micro critters (worms, pods, micro stars, etc).

Your sump sounds good.... I would go with that.... Perhaps someone else would/could advise a better design....

The T5's will be good enough for soft-corals - having 6 T5's over a 4ft (1.2 m) tank should be ample - you could perhaps add 2 more to a maximum of 8 T5's later on - this would be MORE than good enough to keep/grow soft-corals....

Good luck with your venture - and please keep on asking questions - then after quite a few answers, decide for yourself....

In the end, remember, it is your own journey....

You could ask for frag from all over Cape Town if you want, or alternatively I know that some LFS sometimes sells frags (you can buy a frag of a coral, instead of buying an already grown coral).....

Also, perhaps look into our own "Life stock for Sale" forum....

PM both Calvin and Irie Ivan - ask them if they might have stock (Calvin is close to PMB in Kwazulu Natal's Midlands, Ivan is in Cape Town.....)

Cheers mate.

4. Midasblenny

Midasblenny

Where are you timmy?
    pm me as i have lots of frags at the moment

5. calvin

calvin

timmyif you dont come right please pm me

6. timmyus

timmyus Thread Starter

Thanks guys for all your help. LOVE MASA. Midasblenny I am in Ottery. My tank is not up and running yet I am gonna get water today to fill it and setup everything. I might be getting red sea prizm pro skimmer today so that is a bit of a plus compared to the jebo I was gonna use. Jacquesb thatnks for the advice and imput I think I will add 2 more T5's. Once I am set and cycled Midasblenny I will PM you for some frags.

DANKE BAIE

Recent Posts