Fragging Zoa's to swop

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to find out what the best options are wrt fragging my zoa's. My main objective is to swop them with other reefers for colourful zoa's and other softies (frags, of course). I'm planning on making frags of 2 or 3 polyps each, attached to a cement frag plug (properly cured, etc.). I'll then wait until the frags have grown a new polyp before swopping them. I am new to fragging, so I'd like to hear if this sounds ok or if I should rather do it differently?

Last edited:
2 or 3, too small.

at least 10.

Zoas polyps are small. And the size of a colony is relative. I think a colony is way more than 200 polyps where other may feel that 100 is. In my eyes up to 50 is still a frag.

If I frag I normally try to get 15 at least. Then I wait a couple months and let it recover and grow 10 or so more polyps and then I will sell. I have some frags that are 20 polyps that I still feel is too small to sell. Will wait a 2 months or so longer.

you can frag 3 onto a plug - but only if you're confident that you're fragging will be successful (ie: you're experienced with it). But the group will grow much slower and you wont be able to swap for as nice pieces. I would aim for between 3 & 6.

Zoas polyps are small. And the size of a colony is relative. I think a colony is way more than 200 polyps where other may feel that 100 is. In my eyes up to 50 is still a frag.

If I frag I normally try to get 15 at least. Then I wait a couple months and let it recover and grow 10 or so more polyps and then I will sell. I have some frags that are 20 polyps that I still feel is too small to sell. Will wait a 2 months or so longer.
Thanks Marius. I've just Googled it and seems (well overseas at least), one can expect a zoa "frag" to be anything between 5 and 20 polyps. I guess the polyp size also plays a role. My main reason to start with fewer polyps, is so that the person I trade with or sell to has peace of mind knowing the frag is somewhat "established", and has grown an extra polyp or two. This way it allows them to mount the plug in their tank and the zoa's can eventually grow over and look more natural on the rockwork. Not saying a larger "frag" will look unnatural, but if one's willing to give it time to grow, the frag plug will blend in better with their rockwork than for example a larger frag rock.

you can frag 3 onto a plug - but only if you're confident that you're fragging will be successful (ie: you're experienced with it). But the group will grow much slower and you wont be able to swap for as nice pieces. I would aim for between 3 & 6.
Thanks Dane. Hehe I'm no fragging expert, have only fragged my zoa's twice before (bought them with an established system and wanted to change the rockwork, etc.) but have had very good results. So, frag 4 on a plug, wait for it to grow another (at least) one polyp, then ready to trade?

In the states they frag tiny amounts of zoas onto frag plugs quite often and give them fancy names and then sell them for ridiculous prices... :p

I think maybe cause I have a nano I'm using smaller currency than most! ;-) But of course, dont expect anything more than what you're trading!

I agree with Marius 15 is a good size to frag and then let grow out if you want to trade for something larger. But personally, if I want to get a really diverse zoa garden going then I have no problem swapping 5 polyp frags.

In the states they frag tiny amounts of zoas onto frag plugs quite often and give them fancy names and then sell them for ridiculous prices... :p

I think maybe cause I have a nano I'm using smaller currency than most! ;-) But of course, dont expect anything more than what you're trading!

I agree with Marius 15 is a good size to frag and then let grow out if you want to trade for something larger. But personally, if I want to get a really diverse zoa garden going then I have no problem swapping 5 polyp frags.
Thanks Dane. I saw, and they even sell them on eBay (like $25 or so for a 10 polyp frag...), hehe. I really am aiming for a diverse collection, and trading similar sized frags.

Last edited:
Ive read fragging zoas is not too easy if you plan on cutting the actual polyps. Best way is to chizzlle/dremel a piece of rock off with the zoas on...

Same goes with rics. They spurt out stream of something which hit my protective glasses. Thank the lord i was wearing them

the best way is a 5 star configuration, this provides the best way for them to grow and please your customers to keep them coming, this is make them grow in all directions and increase growth, i am getting 5 star frags to over 80 in 3 months

O
OOO
O

The liquid they release is not just water. It is poisonous. It contains the toxin called palytoxin and it could land you in hospital if you get it into a cut on the had or in the eye or mouth.

Back
Top Bottom