Frag setup?

Discussion in 'Frag Tanks' started by Renannchen, 9 Sep 2009.

1. Renannchen

Renannchen

Hey everyone, want to start a frag setup...
    Got 2 tanks
    900lx 400w x 400h
    what do i need to start this setup,
    do i need a skimmer and
    is it posible building a frag setup with t5 bulbs?
    39w?
    Should i run a sump?
    and Dsb?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Hermanus

Hermanus

Hi, I will run it with a sump with skimmer and dsb just like a normal DT, My sps frags is growing and I used 4 x 54w t5. Now I'm moving it to a new DT with 10 x 54w t5's and I think it will be fine. Just my opinion;)

I'll say try and let the frag setup drain to your current DT sump with a pump running to your frag setup, so yous the same filter system as DT just make sure current sump can take the extra water when power fails

Jaco Schoeman likes this.
  4. Jaco Schoeman

Jaco Schoeman MASA Contributor

Great advice hermanus!!! :thumbup: I also wanted to suggest that. I think it will work you out cheaper to have it connected to the current DT and sump, otherwise it's as good as having a new DT system in total.

The other advantage is that you increase total water volume which = a more stable system. 10 tanks @ 100litres makes a total system volume of 1000 litres!!! Even though you just have 10 small tanks.

Just a question that has been bothering me for a while now - so now is the good time to ask:

Why would you want a frag tank? Why not just get coral to frag in your DT? Then you have the advantage of having them for viewing, where if they park in your garage, you miss out on them.

5. mnd123

mnd123

I run mine without a skimmer, and the proliferation of life is insane, HOWEVER, you will not get the colour that you require out of the corals. I have a DSB on mine (thus the life) as the frag tank is BB with egg-crate. I will add a skimmer as soon as my OTP1000 is replaced.

Problem here is that they sit on a frag plug on egg-crate or some such and that is not very nice in a DT - I have a number of frags sitting in my DT on egg-crate and its an eye sore IMO

6. Renannchen

Renannchen Thread Starter

I thought of using my dt sump but want the system to run on its own! I just want to collect all diffrent types of frags from reefers all around, and put the frags in my frag tank and then later swop the frags around to help other new members build their systems also to be able to mix corals around with reefers, if they want something that i have i can frag it for them and then whenever i want smthing difrent they can give me a frag, the frag tank is to be able to grow frags big enough to put in display tanks and swop frags, i dont like it when my dt is ful of frags..

7. mnd123

mnd123

I have a single frag setup with its own sump in my garage, I have a low K MH on it for growth purposes, but obviously I have a lot of brown coral :)

I intend to add a second frag tank below this one and put a 20,000K on it for colouring up purposes. See pic below. I will plumb tank 1 at the top straight into tank 2, then off into the sump.

[​IMG]

8. Renannchen

Will the light be nough if i run it with
    2x 12 000k reeftek 39w t5 bulbs
    2x coral blue reeftek 39w t5 bulbs
    1x actinic reeftek 39w t5? on one tank?

9. ml

ml

more then nough for a frag tank but I run normal T5 + spotlights you buy from lighting wearhouse cost me 64 for fitting and glob

10. mnd123

mnd123

Morne are those the halogen bulbs? Or have you switched to MH? AFAIK Halogen does no favours as it is at the wrong end of the spectrum

11. ml

ml

I will switched to led lights

12. Renannchen

Cool, got some Mh bulbs that i just need to find balast for now...70w 10000k mh bulbs.. thinking of running 3 over this system and 2 over my nano witch will be here next week.. cant wait

Recent Posts