Foxface mysterious death

Discussion in 'Marine Fish Discussions' started by Drewton, 1 Jan 2013.

1. Drewton

Drewton

Morning everyone, well what a k@k way to start 2013, I woke up this morning to find my Foxy stuck to the powerhead...:banghead: He has up until now been the healthiest and strongest member in the tank. Water params are the most stable they have ever been. Im totally confused and bummed.

Is this a common trait for them to mysteriously die? Or is there anything specific that I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance chaps.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. STC-1000

STC-1000 In Reefers Rehab

If u find a fish stuck to powerhead the it shows the fish was weak and couldn swim away, this is a result of bein week for a day or 2 .... How long did u have him, most cases is due to internal worms, the fish seems healthy, eats and everything and suddenly just thins out and becomes weak

4. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

Ive had him for about a year now, we did notice him getting skinny a while ago, so i increased my feeding from every second day to daily, and he started pickng up weight slowly again, everything seemed completely normal to be honest.

5. STC-1000

U can easily see on fishs face, sometimes u feed more and there tummy swells but somehw u can see the face is sucked in ....so definately worms ...sorry for ur loss bro .... It happens to the best of us .... Like I said he slowly gets weak and starts drifting around fighting it, he comes to close to powerhead and too weak to avoid the strong suction and boom, there he goes :(

6. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

water params

NH4 - 0.00ppm
    NO2 - 0.1ppm (tbh i dont trust this result as i have never had a zero reading from this kit)
    NH4 - 0.00ppm
    PO4 - 0.00ppm
    pH - 8.2
    Alk 2.4 meq
    Ca - 420ppm
    Temp 26deg

7. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

Thanks man, yeah sucks he was honestly one of my favourite fish, and definately my fionce's!

8. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Internal parasites are very difficult to diagnose, unless you examine faeces for eggs or do a dissection after the death. Most likely some viral or bacterial infection that it caught early and suddenly it has succumbed to to it. Try testing your NO2 at the LFS if you don't trust the kit, NO2 can lower a fish's resistance to fight infection.

9. STC-1000

Internal parasite are the only disease that can kil a fish without warning unlike externals which are visible and internals mostly have same symptoms were fish has a healthy appetite but still loses weight ,it can be combated if seen in early stages but again,hard to tell cause its nt visible untill fish starts gettn thin but eats healthy

10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

Bud, you can not say a fish died from internal parasites because it has lost weight. There are a plethora of other factors and diseases that can cause loss of weight. Seeing though you were not the owner of the fish and never even saw the fish to make an accurate diagnosis, you cannot make such assumptions.

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

12. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

I have to say all my fish eat like pigs! As soon as they see me coming with the omega one or the nori clip they go bossies! Same for the little cup i mix their frozens in! The foxy used to stick his snout out the water to eat the nori from my fingers. I definately saw no noticeable change in behaviour on behalf of the foxy, and I definately spend a lot of time in front of my tank! Whatever it was it took him quickly and without warning.

I have some Metronidazole and Focus un my fish cupboard, perhaps I should dose that for a few days with the food to make sure none of the other fish are infected?

13. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

Thanks Carlos, i will take a sample to the LFS and have them double check it. Althoug tbh i reckon this particular kit is up to s#%t, because I have always had the same reading every time i have used it even in my nano days when i started. I think it was definately a parasite or something.:(

14. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

@Drewton, it is very difficult to make a positive diagnosis, fish die very quickly sometimes and without many visible affects. You could treat the fish, I have never treated any fish, I make sure they are always well fed and the water quality good and stable. Their immunes systems should fight off any infection. If it makes you feel better, treat them, but follow the directions and finish any courses you treat them with. Like I said I have never treated any fish, and so don't know how to use any medicines.

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  15. Drewton

Drewton Thread Starter

Thanks carlos, the fish was well quarantined before i recieved him, including copper treatment etc etc... I agree with your methodology of keeping them well fed and stable water parameters. I think im just going to have to write this one off to being unlucky!

Thanks everyone for the very constructive replies and assistance!

Recent Posts