Foxface - Hole in the head - Help please

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

My Foxface has started getting holes in his face from his mouth to above his right eye. There are 5 holes.

So far I have read that this can be caused due to malnutrition or activated carbon. I reduced feeding the past couple of weeks to try and get phospates down in my system so I was feeding once a day.

Since I spotted this I have been trying to make sure he eats healthy and target him with pellets that he does eat a lot of.

I have also removed the carbon from the system yesterday. Is there any other treatment that I could do? I really would not like to try and catch him out of the tank to treat cause he stresses really bad and really easy.

Is he getting enough algea to eat. Are you feeding him nori? What are your water parameters. I would not remove the carbon.

Amonia 0
Nitite 0
Nitrate 2-5 ppm
Alk 7.8
Temp 25
SG 1.024
Mag 1450
Calsium 415
Ph 8.2
PO4 aporx 0.2 - 0.3

I have been feeding him Ocean Nutrition formula 1 pellets and Omega One's mikro pellets and veggie flakes.

It needs alot of greens and the flakes will not cut it. Get some nori and feed sufficient amount daily.

What would be a good amount daily? Its just the fox two clowns and two chromis in the tank

Well start small. The foxface may take time to learn to eat. Remove whatever is left daily. I suggest starting with a small matchbox sized piece. Increase the size accordingly. I would say up to the size of a pack of smokes and up to twice a day. All depends on the size of the fish as well.

I feed half a nori sheet every day (foxy and 3 tangs). Get them at food lovers sushi section, cheaper that way.

Unfortunately it seems the hole in his head has gotten to a point where he can no longer move his mouth and cant take in food. I dont expect him to live very much longer. What do I do? Just wait for him to die? Seems so cruel...

Unfortunately it seems the hole in his head has gotten to a point where he can no longer move his mouth and cant take in food. I dont expect him to live very much longer. What do I do? Just wait for him to die? Seems so cruel...

Im very new to this but I agree with you. If there is no coming back maybe it would be fairer on the guy. It's a tough call

Still alive?

This doesn't look like MHLLE, This looks like a skin parasite.
Has he always had that dark spot by his belly? And is he still eating?

No the dark spot is new last few days. He was for a while but it liiks like his face is too damaged to be able to grab food

Bud, honestly. He is busy dying.
Moving him to a QT and trying some meds might not be a bad idea. The problem is trying to 100% identify what he has.
I'll dig in my saved archives and try and get as close to a ID that I can.

Back
Top Bottom