Urgent help needed Fox Face with some kind of illness

Discussion in 'Urgent Help Needed' started by Nico Kortenbout, 6 Sep 2010.

1. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout

Hi guys

I have a new Fox Face Tang with what looks like white spot. I got the tang on Friday (3 days ago) and took about 45 - 50 minutes accimatising him like I do all my livestock. Yesterday I had a heat issue in the tank and the temp got to 29.5 degrees. I managed to get the temp down to 26 by this am and everything else looks nice and happy again. However the Fox Face has these black and white spots. Can anyone help identify the problem and suggest solutions. I really don't want to loose this guy.

Thanks a bunch.
    Nico[​IMG][​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Sentari

Sentari

Hypo salinity in a QT Tank. Slowly!

Good luck! Will wait and see what other people say.

4. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

It looks like the whitespot is under the skin or he has amonia burns, the non toxic part of amonia in our aquariums become toxic at high tempritures .

If its the amonia , your temp is right now so he should come right.
    If its the spot under the skin, try treat with parragaurd and garlic to keep his apatite up.

good luck with him, looks like a nice fish

5. Nico Kortenbout

Nico Kortenbout Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I only noticed this on the way out to work this morning so did not have a chance to test water params. At last test ( about 3 days ago) they were:
    Temp: 26
    Clorine: 0
    Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0
    Nitrate: >5 ppm
    Specific Gravity: 1.026
    Alkalinity: 16dKh
    I will test as as soon as I get home today.

6. purevenom

purevenom

Fish probably wasn't quarentined properly at the shop that you bought him from, no worries. . . . I wouldnt try anything too drastic, if he is still eating fine .
    If it persists more than a day or so & shows signs of getting worse then raise your temp slightly, & switch off your lights for a couple of days, switching on to feed , & then off .
    Whitespot thrives in lit conditions,. .otherwise i wouldnt stress too much if he is still eating as foxies are very hardy fish.
    Ps: He is a rabbit fish. . Not a tang.
    Best of luck.

7. AfricaOffroad

AfricaOffroad

Your alkalinity is exceptionally high at 16.

Here is a cut and paste of the range you should be in:

"Alkalinity:
    Alkalinity (dKH) should be maintained close to or just above NSW levels (7dKH) Aiming for 8 to 10dKH gives you a bit of a buffer zone.
    If Alkalinity levels are low then pH levels can fluctuate, stony corals will stop growing, as will calcareous algae’s like coralline.
    To increase Alkalinity levels, dissolve a teaspoon of bicarbonate of soda in a glass of RO water and drip into the tank. Test daily and continue this process until you have reached the desired level.
    To decrease Alkalinity levels, this will drop on its own if you are not adding any additives and your fresh salt mixes are lower in Alkalinity than your current aquarium level. You need to test a fresh salt mix to establish the Alkalinity level, if it is high, then consider changing salt brand or stop water changes until the Alkalinity level in aquarium has dropped to the desired level.
    See here for more information http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/20...ture/index.php
    "

With that high Alkalinity, what level is your pH sitting at?

8. Nico Kortenbout

Hi, pH is at 8. Just called home as I posted those results from memory and apparently I am loosing mine. My GH is 16 dGH and my alk was low at 3dKH so I dosed Tropic Marine Alcabalance to bring it up. I will check again this evening. I am quite careful in my dosing but may have overdosed, but I don't think so. Will check records.

9. ed

ed

looks like white spot, not uncommon to get with new fish. the temp issue should not b a problem, i run my tank at 28-29 on occasion, this helps faster growth, but over 32 is very dangerous.

i the fish eating? i eating, he'll probably b fine, just keep the water quality high

10. Nico Kortenbout

The fish did seem to be eating this morning. I will keep an eye on him over the next few days. Is there some type of medication I should dose or jst leave it?

Last edited: 6 Sep 2010
  11. ed

ed

i never medicate, hope he will adjust quickly and live long and prosper :)

12. Nico Kortenbout

Hi folks, just an update. After 48 hours, and no medicating, the Fox Face has healed up very nicely. The spots vanished and have not left any scars. He is much happier and getting into the stride of the tank, swimming around and eating much better. Thanks for all the help. Crisis averted :thumbup::slayer:

Last edited: 10 Sep 2010
  13. magman

magman

phew......great news, just maybe keep feeding garlic enriched foods. Or buy a mil of the Bcomplex vits from a vet, and add .005mil to the dry foods 5 mins before feeding.

14. rakabos

rakabos

Excellent news ;) , i love my foxface, he is the most active fish in my tank. They are lovely to watch!

15. Nico Kortenbout

Thanks will do :thumbup: Makes me very happy!!

Recent Posts