FOWLR photos

Reaction score
Hi there!!I am starting my tank(again) after a disasterous attempt first time round.This time I would like to start with FOWLR.But it seems there are no fans of FOWLR tanks:( I cant find photos anywhere.Is there a forum or thread that I have missed.It would be :thumbup: .Some advice on setting the tank up(aquascaping and stuff)Keeping in mind that the reef tank will inevitibly follow

Welcome goodisor. There are a few people that have FOWLR tanks but not too many :p Can't think of any specific section/thread for just photos of FOWLR tanks unfrotunately...

Welcome goodisor. Better luck this time around. If the reef setup is going to happen, why not start your tank with basics and corals later.

most of the reef tanks are so full of corals that you cant see the positioning of the pumps,LR,arag and stuff

Hi Goodisor - IF you want to do a FOWLR tank - it's actually quite easy.

The minimum requirements I would suggest are a semi-decent skimmer (or a decent one if you can afford it - something like a ReefTek or ReefOctopus, or even a Red Sea Prizm Pro would do it)....
And a DSB - either in-tank, in-sump, or both....

The Live rock can be replaced with some bio/fake rock. If you use bio/fake-rock, you only need a little bit of live rock to "seed" the live sand and bio-rock with life....

Have a look at the following thread on U/R:
Reef-Eden 2006 (Its got Bigger) - Page 16 - UltimateReef.com
(Wee-Man - I hope that our friends on UR & Simon does not mind me copying his thread again to show an example - I am just so impressed with it)....

The Live rock can be replaced with some bio/fake rock. If you use bio/fake-rock, you only need a little bit of live rock to "seed" the live sand and bio-rock with life....

Bit off the subject, but Jacques, you have really taken to this bio/fake rock thing, I hope is just a fad :lol:

Hi Warr - no - now that I realise that a DSB is much more efficient at filtration than live rock, I have gone off the idea of having so much live rock in my tank. I would rather prefer having "fake/bio rock" and knowing that there's no detritus hiding inside the rock, that could cause nuisance algase to grow, due to the slow release of phosphates/nitrates.....

Bit off the subject, but Jacques, you have really taken to this bio/fake rock thing, I hope is just a fad :lol:

Have a look at my tank pics, 80% is Bio Rock

Cool Kanga! This is EXACTLY what I mean - 80% fake-rock and 20% actual good quality live rock... instead of a whole lot of live rock!
We have more than enough filtration if we have a decent skimmer, and a DSB - we do not need "live rock" as such to aid in filtration. BUT, that said, after a few months, the bio-rock also become filtration systems in a minor way!

Cool Kanga! This is EXACTLY what I mean - 80% fake-rock and 20% actual good quality live rock... instead of a whole lot of live rock!
We have more than enough filtration if we have a decent skimmer, and a DSB - we do not need "live rock" as such to aid in filtration. BUT, that said, after a few months, the bio-rock also become filtration systems in a minor way!

Jacques, I dont think it is any less effective than normal rock once it is seeded and matured, I have oodles of live on it. I intend to break a piece to see if I can see anything on the inside

Hi Goodisor - IF you want to do a FOWLR tank - it's actually quite easy.

The minimum requirements I would suggest are a semi-decent skimmer (or a decent one if you can afford it - something like a ReefTek or ReefOctopus, or even a Red Sea Prizm Pro would do it)....
And a DSB - either in-tank, in-sump, or both....

Have a look at the following thread on U/R:
Reef-Eden 2006 (Its got Bigger) - Page 16 - UltimateReef.com
(Wee-Man - I hope that our friends on UR & Simon does not mind me copying his thread again to show an example - I am just so impressed with it)....

Wow!Took me a while to go through all that,but it was worth it.I think i will definitely give the diy LR a go at some stage,but i think i would go 50/50.Call me old fashioned,but im a sucker for the natural approach.

I think of LR as an investment,I still like to add more as time goes by ,always 2 or 3 nice pieces every month.I would never consider wasting space in my tank with any other kind of rock.Waste of time,space and effort if you make it your self.

I think of LR as an investment,I still like to add more as time goes by ,always 2 or 3 nice pieces every month.I would never consider wasting space in my tank with any other kind of rock.Waste of time,space and effort if you make it your self.

I hear you,but it is tempting to shape your own rock.That is the only thing that draws me really;being able to build that custom shaped cave or cove,etc

Hi Zookeeper - no problems with that. It's your prerogative. I just think that the importance of live rock as filtration system, is over-rated.

AND: If/when you make your own, like the article I posted, then you can get the EXACT aquascaping that you want.

Look - I agree - one still need live rock to seed your "bio/fake rock", as well as seed corralline algae and micro-critters.

But using live rock is not the be-all and end all - I THINK (take into account that this is my personal opinion)....

Goodisor - in the end your tank will be YOUR journey and YOUR art-work. I think personally that one should take as much information as possible, and make up your own mind. At least that way, you can make an informed decision (if you have heard enough opinions, without becoming confused)...

Cheers Zookeeper/Goodisor!

:thumbup:

I agree. Benefits outway anything you can make.

I hear you,but it is tempting to shape your own rock.That is the only thing that draws me really;being able to build that custom shaped cave or cove,etc

If you are prepared to search you will find decent LR that you can build any shape with.

Ok I see your point ,hope you have fun creating something nice.I believe as long as we derive some enjoyment from a project then it is worth it.Seems my comments were a bit harsh.Sorry about that.

Back
Top Bottom