Found the piece of "Live Rock"

Discussion in 'ID Needed' started by williet, 29 Dec 2010.

1. williet

williet Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Hi Guys

Loving the forum! learning so much ! Got a 4ft just finished cycling it and the LFS says it is perfect! I bought live rock and saw this piece and decided to take it.

Can anyone tell me what it is ?

[​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

looks like an acan coral not LR

4. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

It is an acan structure but it looks pretty dead to me so it will become liverock soon enough.

5. williet

williet Thread Starter Look at the shiny LEDs!!!

Cool Thanks for the prompt reply! My tank is very young (only 1.5 months old). Tell me is that the hard stony structure or are you refering to the soft coral type stuff in eac indentation. I noticed that the stuff seems to grow quite a lot when I have my light cycle set to 8-9 hours a day ? I have 1 x 10000K t5 39 w, an actinic and my diy LED moonlight. I am thinking of adding another pair this time with a blue light rather than actinic ?

Tell me what you think also, what are the correct photo periods?

6. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Looks like a skeleton of an acan or favia coral possibly, however, there is still life there, those little fleshy bits in the middle are the coral and with some luck they should hopefully survive and blossom into a beautiful coral, will take some time though.

An extra pair of T5's will do your tank and the corals a world of good, try to put the 54w 4ft tubes in if you can.

8 to 9 hours a day is fine, some guys go up to 12 hours, personal preference really, but 8 hours is considered the minimum.

Last edited: 29 Dec 2010
  7. Perky Pets

Perky Pets Sponsor

I agree.

The coral seems to be regenerating, same thing is happening to one of my Candy cane dead branches.

Good luck with it.

David

8. Falcon

Falcon

lol where did you get this from?really cool that the coral is living again and hopefully it will fully recover to its former glory.I would go with what viper said...add more light,what are the specs on your tank?exact lenght,width and height?

the blue globe can be added if desired.

9. williet

Hey falcon

I have a 4th tank dimensions are 121x44x52 (in cm)
    61x32x30.5 sump. The tank is 1.5 mnths old. Finished cycling and gave two hermits and two clowns. I have a reeftek modded Ts1 skimmer

I had a careful look. I actually have a aquablue 39w t5ho and a white 10000k.
    Do you have any advice I am new at the game. Been doing freshwater for 20 years.

I am treating on alternate days with caribsea purple up a 1/4 cap and reef success calk.
    Is there something else I can do?

Thanks for all the help this is a GREAT forum!!!!
    Willie
    I got the rock from Northlands in DBN.

10. williet

Hi viper

Btw a 4th tube will not fit? I tried?

I have looked on the net it is definitely a favia coral! Amazing it is surving on such a young tank!!!!

11. Afsal

Afsal

in my old 4foot , a 54w T5 fitted perfectly ...... maybe use the smaller end caps and not the "large" ones ....

12. williet

Hey afsal
    Nice meeting you. My cover does not cater for that. I will have to Sao some remodeling of my tank lid!

13. Falcon

Falcon

no need really.post some pics of your hood please.

the t5 39w will work but you may need up to 4 more if you want to keep most corals at all depths...
    I suggest you just get another 4 x 39w t5 and then you would be safe for any types of coral since your tank isnt very deep.globes i would suggest add 1x 10000k ,1x pure-actinic and 2x blue(20000k actinic)

giesemann make a really good 11000k called aqua blue + if i'm not mistaken(lol they named it confusingly as its in fact white when you look at it) but it is really intense and has a nice colour spectrum for PAR output.Also the reeftek globes are not bad if you on a budget but they are not the best.

oh yes and ATI also make very good globes probably amongst the best,I highly recommend them.but like giesemann they are pricey.

Last edited: 30 Dec 2010
  14. Falcon

Falcon

my advise is create your own thread,have you done this?I'm sure alot of guys will help you out once you have pics and specs etc on your own little thread;)

you don't really need purple up...its just to get your calcareous algae going(purple hard growth on rocks) so its nice but not essential.

are you testing things like calcium levels,nitrate,phosphate,alk,maybe magnesium also if you going to add separately. these things will be important if you going for a reef tank.what tests do you already have?

As for dosing I find the tropic marin bio - calcium excellent as it has alk and magnesium and trace elements in one product.I'm not familiar with reef success maybe one of the other members here can help us with that....

Last edited: 30 Dec 2010
Recent Posts