Found a crab in my nano

Reaction score
Flicked on the lights this morning and found a little crab in my nano! Quick little guy scurried off and disappeared in the rockwork.

How do I tell if he's good or bad?

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Get a pic and post it :)

Easier said than done but it will help. I wouldnt worry to much for now though.

You still going to discover many critters in your tank

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Did you see what it looked like? from my (very limited) experience with crabs, the things i look for are, pointy claws tend to mean predator, blunt are algae eaters, it also seems hairy crabs are mostly badduns', also i have read that crabs with red eyes are badduns' too - without a picture it would be impossible to say - even a description would help.
It is worth bearing in mind that there are many good crabs as well as bad, so don't get the hammer ready just yet

Reaction score
Was so quick i couldn't find any identifying features...

well there's nothing in my tank for a while (while it cycles) so i'll just have to try ID him. Dark brown in colour, no red or har or anything like that

Reaction score
How would one catch the bugger? He's totally disappeared at the moment!

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
There are traps you can make/buy that you bait with a cockle or shrimp, basically a clear plastic/glass box (of even a plastic coke bottle with the "cone" section cut off and inverted into the bottle, so that once the crab goes in - it can't get out.

Kanga

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
There are traps you can make/buy that you bait with a cockle or shrimp, basically a clear plastic/glass box (of even a plastic coke bottle with the "cone" section cut off and inverted into the bottle, so that once the crab goes in - it can't get out.
yip that works:thumbup:

Reaction score
Woah! What did you use to catch him Mekaeel?

Reaction score
nasty little crab you have there can we cook it some crabs keep corals clean and live in them but that crab in that pic there is just plain nasty cook it lots of salt and pepper sometimes eggs of crabs come in with water change well that is what i have heard noe sure if it is true

jacquesb

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Hi Matt - I have had and still have some of "those" crabs in my tank. They usually come in with live rock - sometimes hiding away for months and months - and then ONE day decide to appear.
The most common crabs are the hairy gorilla crabs, or perhaps even the orang-otang crab.
The general rule according to sources on the internet (check out WetWebMedia: http://www.wetwebmedia.com website) is that if their pinchers are big and sharp (mostly they are dark brown or black) then they are bad as they could start chowing on invertebrates or fish......

Another alternative web-site for identification:
Live Rock - Tampa Bay Saltwater Aquacultured Live Rock - The Package Organisms

Reaction score
Ok went out and when I came back turned on the room light and saw the little crab again.

1.) Approx 1cm wide
2.) Saw some hair like algae on his back
3.) Pincers were quite sharp looking, but he's so small its tough to tell.

Not sure what I should do? Maybe I should leave him in for a while to help the tank cycle?

Although as soon as the water is good enough to add some snails, hermits and a shrimp maybe he will try and eat them!

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Ok went out and when I came back turned on the room light and saw the little crab again.

1.) Approx 1cm wide
2.) Saw some hair like algae on his back
3.) Pincers were quite sharp looking, but he's so small its tough to tell.

Not sure what I should do? Maybe I should leave him in for a while to help the tank cycle?

Although as soon as the water is good enough to add some snails, hermits and a shrimp maybe he will try and eat them!
If you are going to get it out - now is the time - you will not upset the cycling by pulling the rocks about and finding the little sod - as soon as you start adding stuff, it will get more difficult.

Reaction score
Agree with Wee-Man. If he goes into a hole use a tweezer and pull him out.

Reaction score
So use force to find the bugger? What kind of tweaser?

Reaction score
Ok caught the crab, can someone ID. Is he a good guy or a bad guy? Had to use some force to get him out so hopefully he's not a good guy else i'll feel bad :(

If he's good i'll out him back in, if he's a bad guy what the best way of getting rid of him?

topofcrab.jpg

Bottomofcrab.jpg

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
claws look blunt, may not be a baddun, can you sump him, or take him to a lfs - no need to kill an innocent creature