forum knowledge retention?

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vatso, 9 Aug 2013.

1. vatso

vatso

long time no post hmmmm

so here is a question does a forum keep and improve knowledge from people? or do the older reefers move on due to time or drama or don't see value or find any learning?

how does a forum keep people interested in staying and posting?

what is the average age of advice being posted?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. pkc

pkc

It depends on many factors and mainly how the forum is run.
    In my country we have a large forum that is full of politics and it is more so run by their advertisers, so you might say it is quite business orientated and run by politicians, lol, very young politicians,lol.
    I am from Auz and the reason I get on here was originally to put our clubs local marine life collecting trips as I do around the world on some forums, including this one to share what I love the most, anything to do the with saltwater!
    I don’t put the trip pics up now so much because I don’t think they stay in the general discussion section any more, in there many more would see rather then in another section of the forum.
    So from back then I saw some stuff on here ages ago that I know about and so I share my knowledge on the things I have done and do from my 33 years of very intense reefing and 42 years at both forms of diving normally every weekend, if I am not surfing.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2013
  4. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

No one will ever know everything about this hobby, especially with all the advances in technology. Look how lighting has changed in the past year, it wasn't that long ago that having LEDs was a dream.
    Problem keeping the older guys posting all the time is that they get tired of answering the same questions. But then as new members become more experienced, they start answering questions too. The ones who've been in the hobby the longest are still around, they just don't post as often as we'd like.
    Drama and fighting does unfortunately chase guys always. No one really wants to come on here and see childish arguements that have nothing to do with marines.

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Strange you would say that, out of the 58 threads you have started, 2 are in the "New Members" section, 1 is in "Reef Tank Advice" and the other 55 are all in "General Discussions" ???? You can check this yourself, go to your profile, click on Statistics, then click on Find All Threads started by pkc.

6. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

i have been a member on here for some time even moving up to the difficult task of moderator,

its very important for people to stick to the topics at hand, and its difficult sometimes because if someones having an off day, the way they percieve another persons tone of comment can set a very good discussion spriraling out of controll or into positive feedback!

i think people need to think properly before they post! i have also seen veteran reefers torn to shreds by newbies due to the lack of understanding on the newcomers behalf.. when all the vet is trying to do is help. its tiring.....

personally i have been attacked but i still keep coming back because i love marines...

im not saying dont joke and play the fool with your fellow forum members...

but stick to what we are here for .....

reefing.. there are applicable forums for joking and general chit chat..

7. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

It's also that the longer you in the hobby the more accustomed you become to your ways, so newer methods seem like snake oil and arguments follow.

What reefers forget is that new methods don't invalidate the old, they just different perspectives on the same goal

8. Monti

Monti

Dallas... what an awesome post. So true... and something most people are guilty of... me included

9. dallasg

Been keeping marines for 20yrs and seen many things here and when in USA and even a change of country sees things being done differently never mind adding new tech, a good example is the Berlin method :)

10. mandarinman

mandarinman

If we are open to new ideas, allowed to ask questions, give answers based on experience and apologise when we step on each others toes a forum grows in knowledge because there is learning

11. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I just love reefing, I have learnt many a thing from both new and "old" reefers, will never consider myself one that has learnt enough.

12. mandarinman

mandarinman

Agree totally. We never stop learning or understanding more or becomeing more marine tank perceptive.

13. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

The forum itself is an ever evolving entity as it is the sum of all who participate.

The ideas we discuss are those which we find interesting. If you cant find something interesting to discuss, it is you that is to blame.

Anyone can post any idea or topic to discuss the limitation is you. If you lack knowledge ask, If you gain knowledge then share. This is the basic principal of the forum.

People's lives change and they stop posting, they think they have learn't everything about reefing, they stop posting and that's ok. Sometimes guys just need a break from the hobby.

The forum itself will always be here for people to come back to.

As for the drama. Well lets face it with the vast composition of the forum members, there will always be a little bit of that.

14. pkc

pkc

So you are saying that If I put the collecting trip threads here, they will stay in this section?

If that is the case I just put one out there on other forums and if it stays in general discussion I will copy it over here as a new thread.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2013
  15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

No offence Vatso, but let me use you as an example
    When you were a newbie, you asked a lot of "stupid" questions. Not as in stupid, but as in normal beginner questions. Those questions ave been answered many times, by older members who did the same mistake in their own newbie days, or learned from others. But you did ignore a lot of the advice, about the cycle, stock levels, tangs in too small tanks... And really got on the nerve of a lot of the "older" guys who tried to help you out.

Then you disappeared. But you did impact some older guys who just said stuff this, I'm not helping new guys anymore, I'm out of here. Guys who got tired of trying to help, only to be attacked that their advise is incorrect / obsolete / outdated / not applicable.

Then when you reappeared, you did admit your own mistakes, admitted that you learned and that the advise you dismissed, were actually correct. And would have save you time, money and what not, if you did listen in the first place. There, in admitting, I salute you. Not a lot of guys will admit they were wrong in the first place.

But then you vanished again until this post. Only you can answer that question, but you are actually posting the question to the forum as to why you vanished the second time?

Hope that answered your question. And sorry to use you as the example. But you are / were the perfect example. And you know it. I mean you no harm. For all the new guys around, Vatso joined Dec 2007 and were very active on the forum early 2008. Older members will remember the arguments in and around Vatso threads.

16. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

my question is more related to keeping people active on a forum and where the collection of learning is?

the sad part is when knowledge is lost due to people leaving

if you remember my arguments it was about fish type in tank size

any case just to let everyone know my tank is still going well was lazy for a few months but got that sorted out now

17. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

18. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

it is difficult.
    That is why we try to have some though provoking threads at times. Latest one from me is the one about what you learned this year that you never knew about marines.

But, need to be careful. Easy to have threads going south as any though discussion thread will have multitude of views. With the team shouting the loudest seemingly winning the argument. And that again leads to the one person losing the argument deciding not to visit the forum again. And there we loose some knowledge.

19. dallasg

Most forums are used to solve problems, so most of the information one needs is here.
    Whether used is another story...

How do we stop people leaving, well there's the enigma. Maybe less emotion and more fact, problem is forum users are passionate so pretty hard to do that, maybe more mods?, maybe section mods? Or maybe more people speaking up... Interested to see what comes out here

20. pkc

pkc

Is there no reply to this viper357?

Last edited: 10 Aug 2013
  21. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

I don't know what else to say, like I said initially, you have 55 threads in the General Discussions section, they're not going to be moved anywhere else, never ever?

Recent Posts