Forum IQ levels

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by vatso, 15 Aug 2012.

1. vatso

vatso

Hi all

maybe this is in the wrong place on the forum but I need to say this.

How many people on the forum just post and argue for the sake of it and have nothing better to do then try confuse and give bad advice?

The advice people post on questions being asked could affect some ones tank or fish and corals. There are many great systems out there and one finds the advice being given are really not by the people that have the great systems.

I am so reluctant to say anything to anyone as there is always some smart person out there with a better way of doing things. I am by no means saying I am perfect I still have tons to learn but have learnt alot over the last few years.

I see posts about TAP WATER - Algea Growth and why and what causes it.

these things are not hard to understand why and what can be done to fix them but some people just don't want to listen and if some other fool agrees with them then that's how it is?

There should be a separate forum place for the people that have great systems and they the only ones that can give advice - learn from the best not from a group of people that have no clue.

sorry if this offends anyone it's not meant to - it's meant as a constructive post to say please if you really do like your fish and corals and really want to have a successful system don't listen to every thing people say. alot of the information is WRONG

butcherman likes this.
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

I find the best way to sift through the BS is to look at who is giving the advice and then to have a look at their system.

If what they have is what you want then follow their advice.

For example if Adee gives advice about SPS and I look at his tank, I know he is probably giving me
    good advice.

If someone is giving advice on water and they have an algea problem chances are they might be wrong...

4. Gesiggie

Gesiggie Challenge accepted

I do agree with you to some extent.

The thing is, some people may post things from experience. Not having the faintest idea of the chemistry behind why something tried in the system actually worked.

Then you have experts (chemistry and LS-wise) that can give advice, but due to a member not disclosing all facts (not necessarily intentionally) and the advice given by the experts can have negative effects.

I will take myself as an example... Having had a load of things happen in my tank, I could share a load of advice on what should / should not be done, but this advice may only be applicable to a nano, with same setup as mine, or it could be a general thing like killing aiptasia. However, not knowing why some things happen, I will definitely not venture out and share suggestions... But I will use the @whoever I may know that's had success in a particular field.

I think Leslie's signature sums it up best... Take a look at the persons tank before you take advice

5. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Feels familiar, but some time ago it was other members who did the arguing... :whistling:
    Guys who think they know, and do not accept answers given. How many times had you protested the answers?

At the end of the day, almost all questions had been asked.

6. vatso

vatso Thread Starter

:tt2: :p :whistling: never who me LOL

sure but I now have learnt

7. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

yip,
    Learned your lesson.
    That sounds wrong and harsh.
    More like learned by experience. Realizing that actually some answers you protested was right from the start.

But good on you for realizing where you stand today. After all it is your tank inmates that benefit the most as your knowledge increase.

8. roderigo

roderigo

Well said man I agree to a point with you thread but one this is that in this hobby its not about one size fits all each system has its own pros and cons I take all advice from everyone with a pitch of salt and do my own research on the matter and take it from there just my 2 cent no matter how there tank looks ,there is so much different variables to consider that the guys that's giving you the advice does not know so I think that you owe it to your self and your corals and fish to do your bit before doing anything anyone has to say ok that's my 10 cent

9. 459b

459b Moderator MASA Contributor

I disagree with challenging forums members iq levels.
    People join the forum to learn, not to be told how stupid they are.
    You have to remember that information, sometimes incorrect info, gets passed between reefer and shops and unlearning is often more difficult than learning something new.
    If you've been told something for years then come on the forum and someone tells you very bluntly that you wrong. . . wouldn't you also question the forum member?

If you feel that someone is too stupid to be worthy of a detailed and helpful reply, then don't reply. Rather have that that chase away new members that are trying to understand marines.

Rory likes this.
  10. carlosdeandrade

carlosdeandrade

I try never give advice, I am usually so wrong.
    I think my tank looks great, anyone can come and look, I am home all the time and give me advice, lets chat, moan at me, call me an idiot.
    I find it strange that if I do give the wrong answer no-one actually tells me, "hey, you are wrong." We all seem to be a bunch of "old" ladies having tea and worrying too much about how our purlpe hair wash looks then rather on how to make the colour POP, in LILAC!!;)

11. Lord_Blackadder

Lord_Blackadder

I have noticed that there are some members who give "advice" just for the sake of posting, even when their experience with marine tanks is extremely limited.

I've also noticed that some sponsors are more interested in flogging their merchandise than giving good advice...

12. crispin

crispin

actually no, if you give bad advice it does get corrected, almost always. i for one, am not shy to say if i disagree with advice and I am willing to back up my reasoning on why i think something contary. Heavens knows, vatso and I have had a round or two:p

i find myself posting less but with, what I hope, is more vallue. I'll put more energy into a decent reply and post less often rather than try have an opinion of every topic. But the longer i reef, the better my knowledge becomes the more conservative my views seem to be. Often I am repeating a paraphased understanding on what I have gathered from others on international forums or have worked out myself. At the same time i study and read a huge amount on advances in technologies. I wait to see that the latest craze is worth investing into and i try gain an understanding on what the porinciples behind the ideas are. I stay abreast of changes in reefing methologies, but er on the side of tried and tested.

13. HenkHugo

HenkHugo

I firmly believe a forum is only as good as the communal knowledge base. When newbies p!ssoff/chase away the old hats the knowledge base suffers a HUGE loss

14. crispin

crispin

thats a vallid point Henk. the likes of sunburst, dargon reef, mike, kanga, thalion etc etc etc buildt a great fondation of knoweldge and platform for masa and I miss their input alot

15. Yuri

Yuri

Most lfs owners and workers do not know fish !
    Thy can not talk scientific names ....

16. ScottK

ScottK

Just because you're a noob (like me) doesn't mean you shouldn't give share your experiences. Most mistakes are made when you start and I believe it's invaluable to share those mistakes so others can possibly save themselves from making the same mistakes.

The knowledge held by the elders on this forum is invaluable and I must say that thread on the tap water really p'd me off today to the point where I actually just stopped reading the thread because good advice from many people was being challenged just for the sake of being argumentative.

I recently got a new tank and didn't want to make the same mistakes I made on my first tank and have asked a fair amount of questions and have valued the input from the new and the old members.

I don't believe it has anything to do with IQ. I am a member of many forums for different things and there are always those that are out there just to create a argument for their own enjoyment. I have slowly but surely learnt not to drop myself to their level.

17. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I couldn't agree with you guys more and it's a pity the guys with a wealth of knowledge who could articulately put it across are no longer around...it's also been a concern of mine and I think maybe what Vatso was also saying there and what blackadder touched on was that there are a lot of questions being answered of late by guys who have barely been in the hobby a year and are giving even newer guys the wrong information and stating it as fact.
    Posted via Mobile Device

18. Singularity

Singularity Hmmm amper!

Speaking of guys going quiet, what ever happened to reef maniac aka hennie ?

19. Goby

Goby

What i don't like anymore, is that most of the time i see the same questions being asked over and over and over again. If i can name one its WS. Ppls find it to easy to just post away, and not doing their own research through the 10000000's of articles there already is on MASA.

There like a milliion threads started, and only a 1000 is unique. The rest is repeats.

I miss the quality threads that was once here.....

20. Kunhardt

Kunhardt

I know that's a topic thats been brought up a lot before so I won't harp on it, but what I have noticed and it may be one of the reasons behind this is...when you used to start a new thread and put in a title a little box used to come up with similar thread names on the forum...this doesn't seem to happen anymore. I always found that function great when I was new as I would type in a thread title to ask a question and learn there was already threads on the topic I was about to enquire about and I could then just click on the links in the box to one of those threads.
    Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited: 15 Aug 2012
  21. Charl_Stanhope

Charl_Stanhope

I have also found that a lot of info is given and alit of diffetent views given. Maybe we should have an agree not button next to the agree with button.maybe keep it anonymous.say that so many users don't agree.but it will have to be used carefully. I also tend to not give advice unless I have had petsonal experience with the subject or I have a good knowledge of the topic.

Recent Posts