Forum influence on species choice

KevinW

Shrimp
Reaction score
Been wondering for quite some time now about how influential this and other forums are in promoting the keeping of SPS as the ultimate goal of marine aquarists. My opinion is that there is a very decided bias towards this on most other forums that I have visited. Thoughts?

Matt

Wrasse
Reaction score
Hmm, depends on the person I think. I personally prefer softies and LPS, not so much interested in SPS.

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
Kevin I think the perception is that SPS is the ultimate and only very experienced reefkeepers should venture there. This I believe is a very outdated idea with the equipment around these days and with due deligance from the reefkeeper. I personally like to have a mix as it is in nature.

mandarinman

Achilles Tang
Reaction score
ill second alfie on that, i have sps in my tank, which was a no no last year

Warr7207

Moorish Idol
Reaction score
With the lighting and parameters tat you need for a clam you might as well keep SPS at the same time.
Nah, Clams look better, SPS can be pretty, but I have seen some softies (IMHO) that look better, and SPS are so fragile, if a Tang farts, your SPS needs special treatment for the next 6 months :lol:

Mike

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
Kevin I think the perception is that SPS is the ultimate and only very experienced reefkeepers should venture there. This I believe is a very outdated idea with the equipment around these days and with due deligance from the reefkeeper. I personally like to have a mix as it is in nature.
Keep the SPS shit. A nice Clam is my ultimate goal

That does seem to be true, a sort of elitism surrounds SPS, and to some extent clams (sorry Warr) personally i prefer lps and softies, they look nicer to me, but that is a personal opinion:)

Alfie

Hawkfish
Reaction score
Dude I love them all softies, LPS and SPS. It is the hob that is so addictive.

cybervic

Damsel
Reaction score
With the lighting and parameters tat you need for a clam you might as well keep SPS at the same time.

Uhm if you keep clams with the same flow you have for SPS they might not open. Crocea and Maxima clams can handle more flow, but still not the flow that most people have for SPS

my 2c