Formula of bicarb

Ocean

Lazy Sea Slug
Reaction score
I have done some testing on my tank and the formula of bicarb is 4ml for 100l will raise the KH by 1point hope this helps.

when you say 1 point,you mean 1 DKH?

Yes mekaeel

Many thanks Ocean - this will definitely help - BUT, could you please supply us with some more information, as I am not 100% sure that this formula would work on ALL tanks (quite possibly - but it might just differ between different tanks sizes).

Please let us know your total tank water volume?

Many thanks... And great info, btw!

so i dosed my tank with bicarb on saturday. I added about one tea spoon to 250 ml RO water (my tank volume is around 500 litres). I started dripping it in slowly and all seemd ok. Suddenly, after adding a few more drops, the whole tank went cloudy! It took about 30 minutes for the tank to clear. Is this meant to happen?
The livestock didnt see mto mind the cloudiness and it all looks healthy.

No 459 - this is not really SUPPOSED to happen. Nothing should come of it. It could only have been some reaction with another compound in the water, calcium perhaps? I dunno..... Just check your water parameters for me again, please?

its like the bicarb suddenly precipitated out. Cant think of why it happened or what caused it. All the things i know that would precipitate it out should have formed an insoluble precipitate?

It might just be that your pH is very high and that you already have a high calcium content...

Temperature may also play a role...?

ill check pH when i get home. Dont think its calcium, ive never dosed with calcium and all the water in my tank is NSW.
never thought about the temp...it actually was really cold on saturday.

Could be the calcium in the bicarb that precipitated out in cold water and high pH...then it just disolved slowly again I guess...

I dose a quater tea spoon bi-carb and magnesim chloride (engelse sout) with every water top-up. I am still siving for the auto...
Seems to be workign well as a tiny peice of montipora digitata galibore gave me is now pushing a side branch after only two weeks :) I think this is fast...not really sure though.

Do you have stony corals or why are you dosing calcium?
Can't remeber, bit of a cheese brain at the moment :whistling:

The only thing that I can think of 459, is that there was indeed some chemical compound in your water (where do you get your water from? what other chemicals do you dose?) that have reacted with the sodium bicarbonate (did you use bicarbonate or carbonate?) in order to form some insoluble compound which did indeed precipitate out of solution...

it did precipitate out but it dissolved again.
im not dosing calcium, or any other chemicals.
I got my water from sea point.
I dont have any corals, im going for a cold-water rock pool tank. At the moment all i have is a sea urchin, a fan worm and a couple of small anemones.

Hi 459 - Lappies could be correct that the pH or the temp might have played a role.... Still not sure though..... There could have been something in the water that you are using that could have reacted with the sodium bicarbonate/carbonate.... What is it that you were dosing with? Bicarb or Carbonate?

it was bicarb. I think LAppies might be right about the temp. I have some left over so will see if i get the same reaction if i add it to warm water.

Try warm tank water...
Maybe do a control for pH by adding some vinegar to some tank water and adding bicarb then...

Yeah should be...still, not really needed since their is no real calcuim demand or am I missing someting?

Back
Top Bottom