For Sale threads

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by viper357, 4 Mar 2013.

1. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Is it just me or are there sooo many For Sale threads lately that they seem to be getting in the way of information threads? Feels a bit like Gumtree.

On that topic, PLEASE guys and gals, DO NOT post in a For Sale thread unless you intend to buy the item or need more info. There are far too many complaints coming in about off-topic posts in the sale threads. No more chit chat in there please, thanks. :)

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. pXius

pXius

Might not be a bad idea to have 2 separate "Live Feeds", one for the classifieds and one for the rest of the forum. At the pace this hobby is growing in SA I can only foresee an increase in that section of the forum.

4. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

A very disappointing indication of the state of the industry. Just hope it is not "US" that is chasing reefers away.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2013
  5. viper357

viper357 Thread Starter Admin MASA Contributor

That is something we could possibly look into.

No I don't think it's that so much, it's mostly people upgrading their hardware and selling frags etc.

Last edited: 4 Mar 2013
  6. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

@viper357, isnt there any way to keep all the "unread" for sale threads in a seperate "unread post section"?
    That way, if you are looking for anything to buy, just go there & it keeps the unread info posts clear of sale chit chats...
    And also, the guys can still chat on the for sale threads (hopefully not too much) & still keep the forum cleaner...

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  7. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

the thing is when people digress in a for sale thread it dreails the purpose of the thread, as it does with most topics.. people need to excercise restraint and open a thread specific to the topic if they want to go into a long discussion about something, it is common courtesy...

also when you look at the post count when reading the heading you tend to think if there are 100 posts on a 2 page thread the items are all sold and your chances of clicking into it are less....

8. butcherman

butcherman Moderator MASA Contributor

also if a forsale thread has 5 pages and the item has not sold, i tend to think whats wrong with the item, or that its over priced. When in reality its just derailed

9. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

None of it matters. People don't read the bloody things anyway. I have multiple people asking me for this and that from my tank sale when I explicitly stated that the whole thing goes at once.

10. butcherman

Although systems very rarly sell as one unit, I fine it in bad taste people calling dibs when the seller states system as one price.
    If the seller wants to sell seperate i am sure he will either start a new thread or update his thread with individual prices. Then it can become a free for all.

11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

There is rarely a full system sale. Most people want to sell their system in one go, but the rarely does. Look at Helga, she wants 70 thousand. I seriously doubt if there are anybody on this forum that is interested in a second hand tank in that price range. Even a smaller system like CarlosF, again he want to sell it all together for 30G. Where he himself did buy a lot of things from previous tank breakdowns. Its not going to happen. Nothing wrong with either system. In the last year its only BrandonB (I think) who sold a complete system quickly but at a very very good price.

And then eventually they get broken up. And those who only want one item and did not comment, respecting the request for the full system, looses out eventually because somebody else did not respect that request. And asked that if and when it does get broken up, that he wants X and Y.

I suggest that no full system sales, to go in one sale as complete sale, should be allowed. It rarely does sell like that anyway. But rather a combination. Sale should be loaded with a full system sale price, plus the breakdown of the individual pieces. Then the full sale stands for maximum 2 weeks, thereafter dibs placed comes into effect. Anyway, that is what's happening at the end of the day. And its these full system sales that end up being over 5 pages of posts.

After all, most members on MASA already have their own systems. We do not need another complete tank. But we want certain pieces of equipment.

12. butcherman

agreed but if a guy wants to try sell a full system so be it, its up to the seller to negotiate. look at helga, everyone placed dibs 5 seconds after she posted. but she did infact sell the full system i belive.

13. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

That's unrealistic, Riaan. I bought my system complete. And I am getting lots of nibbles on my full system. What you're now suggesting is that if I want to use this website to sell my system, I *have* to sell it piecemeal based on some sort of trend that you perceive. I honestly don't think that you have the right to enforce that kind of blueprint.

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As I said, rarely.

BrandonB had everything, Profilux, plugbars, All of it. So "Complete" is relative.

My point is, you who respect the request that it is a full system, eventually looses out when the tank is split up. And somebody else who dibs 5 seconds after thread was opened wins.

so keep it as a full sale for a certain time, thereafter dibs will be honoured.

Allow dibs to be placed from the beginning.

after all, that is what happens normally.

Helga got an option for full system. Its not sold yet.

15. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

I dont agree @RocketRooster. Riaan has a good point. It is very rare that a system gets sold as a whole. As a matter of fact... I dont think ive seen more than 5 system sales that has sold as a whole. Especially larger tanks. (smaller tanks are easier to sell as a whole).
    It still remains the decision of the seller if he wants to sell as a whole within a required timeframe.
    So i think its a great idea @RiaanP. All full system sales needs to be split up as a full sale & a provisional split up sale where the buyers can dibs on seperate items, but must be able to wait a week or so to see if anyone wants to buy full system.

16. butcherman

what about people calling dibs from the start of full sale threads
    From what i have seen people have been doing the following.
    placing dibs on 5 skimmers in 5 systems because no one know when the forsale will be split up.

is this fair to the seller or other buyers, when they cancel dibs on 4 out of 5 dibs?

IMO dibs means I am taking it. People use is way to freely these days. its so hard to keep track of who has dibs and who has canceled

17. Furbz

Furbz

the reason people ask for bit and pieces is to place "dibs" if you decide to sell separate.
    so that when you do say "ok, i will sell separate" they are first in line.

mods, can we not put a rule in place to solve this?

ie. full system for sale.

someone asks for a single piece early on in the thread and BEFORE the seller has decided to sell separately. - can you not say that that person has no "right" to that piece should the seller change his mind and decide to sell separately?
    in other words: only after the seller states he is selling separately, can dibs be placed and that member having first option on the piece?

Regards

18. pXius

pXius

I personally no longer honor dibs. First money in my bank account gets the items.

Too many times have people "dibsed" an item and they end up not taking it and I miss out on serious buyers, sometimes having to further cut my price to recapture the interest of a previous enquirer which was shown away because someone already "dibsed" it.

Or you get the people whom dibs an item but can only pay at a later point in time. I'll rather do the transaction with someone willing to pay on collection or immediate EFT.

19. butcherman

2 difinative sections could help. ie systems and parts

20. Visser

Visser MASA Contributor

That is true @butcherman.
    Something that might work is to create for sale threads into a "Poll format" where you tick your dibs for the item you want & it is stated in the beginning of the thread who dibsed what, & the dibs may only be removed by mods if you want to undibs items.
    That will prevent anyone from placing dibs & withdrawing it later...

21. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Yes and no.
    Thing is, I see something on a full system that I want. Now I have to recheck every 5 minutes for next 2 weeks to catch the moment the sellers realized that he should split the sale. And hopefully be in time.

That is why I suggest that offer to purchase could be placed from the beginning. And honoured when sale is split.

The issue of guys not honouring their offers to purchase is something else. You can always use the sale rep system to give negative points on those who pull out of a sale for no apparent reason. Pulling out after getting more information that influences the sale should not matter.

After all, if you put DIBS on buying a house, there are a lot of contract breach implications if you cancel the deal. So honour your dibs.

Recent Posts