For Sale items etiquette

Reaction score
I have been a member of this forum for a few years now and must congratulate the forum admins for doing a great job. There is one area that I do believe needs attention, and this is the "for sale" section where at times things get out of hand. It is an absolute pet hate of mine to see something I would have loved to buy being "dibsed" and then never sold to the person dibsing it. It is probably wrong of me, but I very seldom second dibs as I believe if someone has dibsed, then generally the item is sold. Far too often, "dibsees" do not honour their commitment, and in my opinion deserve some censure if there is not timeous communication to the seller in this regard.

I came across an old post that I believe deserves to be a sticky in the "for sale" thread concerning "dibsing". Viper was quite vicious in his younger days with transgressors, and I for one, would welcome a return to those draconian days :biggrin:.

https://www.marineaquariumsa.com/threads/dibs.37594/

I would have replied to this thread directly, but received the following message:

(You have insufficient privileges to reply here.)
Page 5 of 5

I would support a resumption of some form of punishment for serial offenders. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Contrary to tales being told, we as moderators do not interfere in the for sale section. With exception to enforcing pictures to be added to the sale.

Only when we get a request to look into a sale, then we will check it out. Must admit, complete system sales where the seller INSISTS to sell everything in one go, are normally the stuffed up sales. Almost everybody active on MASA already do have a tank. And we all need that one thing the guy is selling. That is where you will see all those DIBS if splitting replies, plus depending on price when you decide (eventually) to split up the system.

Until guys realize that complete running systems hardly ever sell as complete systems, unless its at a very good price from the buyers point of view. Not a lot got 20K or more to spend on a secondhand system, even if its a complete system.

But I do agree, placing dibs is the same as a commitment to buy. Unless you do place the bid with the extra part stating that it is dependent on a question about size, volume, rating or whatever applicable to the item.

Hey Riaan

Those complete system sales are sometimes an issue, because regardless of the clear initial instructions that state no splitting, everyone jumps in for THAT piece of equipment that they are looking for and it soon becomes a bunfight. I have commented before that this scenario is funnier than live comedy at times :D

My issue is not really with the complete system sales. Where I get irritated is when something specific is advertised and a dibs is placed. The dibs is then not honoured. Once I see a dibs I move on. A second scenario that is beginning to become more common is sellers advertising on more than one platform. Dibs are placed and unhappiness reigns when the item has been sold on another forum, or sometimes unfortunately, off the forum by whatever means.

If you read through the dibs posting of a few years back, I believe that everything is fair and covered. I agree, you mods should not have to be spending time playing big brother.

Back
Top Bottom