For sale and sellers not keeping to agreement

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by Royden Church, 17 Jul 2017.

1. Royden Church

Royden Church

Okay, this is a bit of a rant, There was a skimmer for sale in Jhb which I Pm'ed the seller who sent me his contact number and I contacted him regarding the skimmer and a verbal agreement was reached, low and behold to my surprise when logging onto MASA late last night and I read skimmer sold. I whatapp the seller this morning and to my disgust he said he sold to someone else after a verbal agreement was made!

Guys if this is how one does thing on this forum it clearly show that this is not a true hobby where people make verbal agreements and trust people to uphold their end of the deal where we are all trying to make the best of this hobby.

@admin, in reflection of these, mine not being the first, I believe these sellers who do not uphold their end of the bargain should be banned from this forum as this is not what this forum is about to my understanding , this forum was built around assisting other fellow marine/reef enthusiasts and making this hobby what it should be which is enjoyable, but clearly when one gets screwed it makes it totally unpleasant!

2. Guest

3. TaahirS

TaahirS MASA Contributor

Why did you pm and not post on the thread? Maybe he sold it to someone who posted on the thread.

4. OP
    Royden Church

Royden Church

5. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish Moderator

If all negotiations took place on the open forum itself, there could possibly be some recourse from MASA's side. Unfortunately nothing can be done if negotiations and agreements took place in private.

6. 459b

459b Moderator

It is sad to see people not upholding their end of the bargain and does put a damper on the hobby.
    One issue with the for sale section is that people may have the item advertised in various places, so we can only comment on discussions we see on the actual thread.

Haffy likes this.
  7. Haffy

Haffy

This is true. Sometimes other platforms like gumtree are also used to advertise the same item.

Still... it sucks to think you were getting something and now you're right back where you started

8. OP
    Royden Church

Royden Church

Simple communication would of been in order by a call or message saying they have another buyer lined up and does one mind if they sell the item. The sad part is that modifications had already been started to accommodate the item.

Maybe just a simple request, if you intend on selling an item and arrangements/accepted offers made, either keep to the agreement or notify the respective buyer if there are changes instead of keeping them in the dark and hopeful all is in order.

r0ckf1re, BarryRoux and Haffy like this.
  9. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Unfortunately forums only have so much power to handle these type of things and a lot of the sale is out of their hands. If the seller gets someone with cash in hand for a guaranteed sale, they might want to sell the item since you could potentially pull out of the sale even after committing verbally and then he gets left with the item and this has happened a lot as well. But common courtesy would be to let interested parties know about any changes to the sale. Only thing you can really do is to use the rating system provided by the forum to rate a seller.

10. Dexter

Dexter

were is the rating system on this "new" look forum????
    use to be in the same block as the user pic and details.

Last edited: 17 Jul 2017
  11. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

As far as I got it. The rating system is a payable optional add-on. On the old forum software only a couple of guys did use it. And the usage just do not justify the cost of buying the add-on.

Dexter likes this.
  12. hotdog83

hotdog83 Clone Fish Moderator

It is difficult for both buyer and seller, and I agree with @mariusmeyer that sometimes buyers want to move things if and when they can, especially if they have someone that will collect it and not have to ship. But common courtesy can go a long way just at least to explain the situation and your reasoning.

Haffy and r0ckf1re like this.
  13. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

Sorry to hear about your issues. Sadly this happens now and again, I don't really know what to do or how to prevent situations like this.

To get assistance from us a member MUST follow the rules and keep ALL negotiations and discussions on the thread, if that is not complied with then we are not interested in assisting, simple as that.

In years gone by I implemented an ebay style rating system, it barely got used, I then implemented a simpler, easier type of rating system, it practically got ignored, so there's literally no point at all in putting something like that on the forum, as you all cry for it and then nobody uses it.

The only thing I can think of that may be useful is Buyer/Seller Feedback threads similar to what Ultimate Reef uses, basically just threads about member dealings, not sure how useful that would be as no-one would bother reading it would they :lol: - http://www.ultimatereef.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?523-Buyer-Seller-Feedback

Or maybe just a simple 'bitching section' where you can openly complain about others and wait for them to retaliate, while we all sit back and watch the ensuing chaos. :lol:

Haffy likes this.
  14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

And get enough popcorn
    :lurk5::lurk5::lurk5::lurk5::lurk5::lurk5::lurk5::lurk5:

Haffy likes this.
  15. Ferret

Ferret

Totally understandable that no-one uses the system. There may not always be a need and we as humans are fast to complain about a seller but hardly give good compliments about sales etc. It's in our nature to complain but not compliment.

Having said that. I have also had issues on here with regards to a sale. And I followed the rules to the T. The sale was from a sponsor on the forum. And even though I had everything in writing etc. The reply I got back from the admins here for assistance was..... you need to deal with the seller as they cannot help with any sales etc that take place on the forum.

While I understand that it's a public forum and you as the owners of the forum can't be held liable etc for bad sales.

But I do feel that if you are going you have a buyers and sellers section then you need a place for people to show bad deals etc. It then becomes the individuals problem to rate the seller etc. So then no-one has a foot to stand on saying their didn't know etc. (We are know people will still complain though).

You have the ability to block people from the site... So work on a strike system... 1 warning then ban. Ban the individual from viewing and posting in any of the for sale sections.

16. r0ckf1re

r0ckf1re

I agree and I mentioned this before, but I was told this is not HelloPeter.

I say ban those that do not keep their word, it's better to have a smaller trustworthy community than a larger one with the opposite of that.

In my opinion an agreement be it verbal or in writing, in pm or on the thread is still an agreement and it should be fulfilled, otherwise do not commit to one.

Haffy and Ferret like this.
  17. Ferret

Ferret

Can make a ticket type system. For people to log tickets for bad sales PLEASE note this is not in order for the admin to assist you in getting your money as they can't and shouldn't be held liable for sales out of their control but rather to educate future potential buyers. It only takes a couple messages etc for admin to type a message etc. Multiple tickets for the same seller down comes the ban hammer.

It does create extra work on the forum for admins But i am sure you can involve a mod to ease this.

18. viper357

Hold your horses there bud, that's a bit misleading, to clarify this (yes I still have the PM), in your message to me you stated that "My brother is having a bit of issues with one of your sponsors...". So the issue was with a non-member, not you and it didn't even happen on the forum! It was just the fact that it was one of our sponsors and now you wanted to badmouth them on the forum because you asked me "Is it against the forum rules then to post a complaint warning future people?" Do you really think that is fair, something that had absolutely nothing to do with us, nor with any of our members, must now become our problem? I think not.

We have done this a few times, I have no qualms in banning someone from the forum outright as I hate the sales section and all the problems that come with it, lol.

Agreed, however it can be very difficult sometimes to try and figure out which side of the story is true. Was an item broken before it was shipped, was it broken during shipping, was it broken when the buyer opened it and dropped it on the floor? Who do we believe? In clearcut cases we will definitely get rid of problem users, but 90% of the time it's a case of "um, who do we believe?" :m29:

pofkuiken, r0ckf1re and Haffy like this.
  19. OP
    Royden Church

Royden Church

The maim reason we also buy and sell is we all work to a monthly(monkey) budget and can not afford new equipment and top of the range equipment and try and keep our tanks in the best possible condition under budget constraints.

20. Ferret

Ferret

Not trying to cause a fight here. My brother is a member here (And has multiple posts etc to his name) I just contacted you as he was having no luck with the seller in order to see where we stood. So to say the issue is with a non member is incorrect. Also the sale was done through the forums as all parties concerned are from the forum.

There is no issues between myself or my brother with the supplier as we still use him for other items. was just one of those bad luck sales.

I didn't name the company nor will I as i am definitely not trying to bad mouth anyone, but rather create a forum to try and find a solution.That's why I suggested a ticket system. Then you can base decisions on multiple tickets if they are for the same seller.

Opposed to the often heated threat mails I am sure you get. Tickets kind of level the playing field as they have to be approved etc first

21. viper357

We could probably implement something like that, however, one of the biggest stumbling blocks we have is that about 65% of our users are on Tapatalk, and not a single one of our add-ons works on Tapatalk, it's only threads, posts and likes that work on Tapatalk unfortunately, so I fear any sort of 'system' we add will simply just not get used. But I am open to all ideas and suggestions, there's gotta be something out there we can do or use, lol.

r0ckf1re likes this.

Recent Posts