For how long must my lights be on?

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Meneer, 27 Mar 2011.

1. Meneer

Meneer

I have 2 54W T5 Actinics and 2 10000 whites

At this stage my lights are 1 Actinic and 1 white per ballast.

I have 2 timers. Should I change the configuration to 2 Actinics and 2 Whites?
    I wanna set the timers to first switch off the one, and a few minutes later the other one.

From what time till what time should the lights be on?

Last edited: 27 Mar 2011
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

The time you should pick yourself. I would change that one ballast has the actinics and the other the 10000K's. The average time would be to have the main lights (the 10000K) on for 5-7 hours, while the blue can be on from anything from 6-10 hours. This is just the basic time for lighting, but the basic is that the actinics should come on first followed by the 10000K a time after, and firstly the 10000K should go off and then the actinics. This is just to replicate how it would get lighter and darker in nature.

4. Tremayn

Tremayn

Meneer, when you start to cycle your tank restrict the time the lights are on as this will only promote algae growth, so not longer than 3hours per day

5. IMarine

IMarine

Hi there i will rather run a blue plus and actinic on 1 ballast and the whites on another,what i do is the following i start my blue plus actinic comes on around 1pm and then whites on at 2pm then whites off at 8,30 and blues off at 10pm,but for the first month while a cycle any tank i leave lights off then start off with half the time for 2 weeks and then go to full light length

6. Tremayn

Tremayn

Im gonna swap globes now so that I have 2 actinic on one ballast instead of one white and one blue :)

7. erle_vaughan

erle_vaughan

i swapped tubes a while back, so i had two actinic in one reflector and two white in another... the two didn't mix very well and looked pretty kak...
    i have since change back to mixed tubes in reflectors and will soon change the wires so that i can have the actinic on first and last. like from 06h00 - 20h00 and then white from 07h00-18h00 and 1x MH 150w on from 12h00 - 17h30.. i know it is a lot of light but i got some polyps that I'm trying to get to thrive.
    My Blennie lank is stoked with the algae production.

8. Tremayn

Tremayn

I swapped them now.. Looks same to me lol.. Except now I can have just actinics on :) .. Will upload pics on my thread

Recent Posts