For all you pic addicts, let me re introduce myself....properly

Discussion in 'New Members' started by magman, 8 Sep 2009.

1. magman

magman

I just wanted to thank all you guys on here, I have really learnt a lot on here in the short while I have been a newb........things that I would never of learnt with out all you and the input. Sometimes 10 newbs will all ask the same question in a day, but all on here have patience and have pleasure in helping.

Unfortunately when I first started up, I did not have acess to the forum, and had togo on the advice of my LFS, and he is a bit too old school and does not believe in DSB's etc, but he was always was willing to help, and I think us newbs can be more painful than an urchin inside an anemone.

I also owe lots to Sims, he is always an sms away.

Since being a member on Masa, I converted and put the DSB in!!! I did take a lot of the original big rock out as it was trapping the detrus, but also put about 10% new rock in.

In the pics, you will see the one of the bleached nemmie, I went against all the voices in my head and advice from the forum and bought a bleached nemmie. When I had actually bought it, it had come in the day before on a Singapore shipment, and the LFS was already selling it on a special!!! How is that for telling you not to buy. However though, why I bought I don’t know, but I persisted, somewhere in the first 3 days I actually tried to take it out 3 times as if it was dead, but evrytime there was still a bit more life. I persisted, feeding it 3 times a day on bits of pacific krill, I now am on little bits of chokka every 2nd day, it has improved greatly and I saw a little hint of purple in it yesterday. It has gained a bit more stickiness on the tenticles, and if pull it through, it would give me much more pleasure.

I really want to change the substrate and put argonite in, but I will rather let it settle after the DSB mods.
    Also the skimmer, it is a Weipro, SA 2015, the biggest load of rubbish, it is rated for 200gl, and skims 10% of the cup in a day, as soon as you raise the water level, it skims a cupful in 5 mins. I have tried everything everyday, and just can't tune it. So I am looking for another, preferably a good second hand.
    Lights, this is my priority now, I was supposed to put in 2 more T5's this month end, but unfortunately my kids had swine flu, and it has been a really hard month.

Lights followed by a skimmer that works are on my priority list.
    I must also thank my wife for her patience while I try and tackle my dream, we actually can't really afford a hobby like this, and we do have months where we are hungry. I think even the kids have imagined the size of the fillets on nemo!!!!!!

Herewith pics and thanks all (I will submit them one after another)
    [​IMG]

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. magman

magman Thread Starter

sorry but our system is real slow, patience you pic junkies

4. Renannchen

Renannchen

very very nice system,looking good, keep the pics coming

5. magman

magman Thread Starter

6. Ghaydeen

Ghaydeen

Really nice work magman!

7. magman

magman Thread Starter

8. brentnorm

brentnorm

Really a great looking tank. How long has it been running?

9. magman

magman Thread Starter

10. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

Tank is looking good MagMan! Just two comments though:
    1) If you can get a skimmer with a needle-wheel or pin-wheel impeller, (in the pump), it would be best. TRY and get a skimmer that is "rated" (this is not always the begin all and end all) at least twice your total water volume....
    2) that nemmie that is sitting against the glass, is not TOO happy - It looks like a Heteractis Magnifica (ritteri anemone/magnificent anemone):
    = try and increase the water flow: these nemmie's like to be on a "pedestal" - in a strong cross flow of water (where the streams of at least 2 or 3 power-heads meet up), and under extremely strong lighting, ie metal halides..
    = also - remember to feed the nemmie at least once a week, some meaty foods in chunks that is smaller than 1cm...

11. magman

magman Thread Starter

12. magman

magman Thread Starter

This nemmie is a beast, a grandi or something like that, the next thing I must learn is the latin names, the osecrlaris are locally bred, but there colouring is amazing since they started hosting, I want to try and get a big shoal of them hosting in here.
    [​IMG]

13. Mekaeel

Mekaeel Moderator MASA Contributor

Looking wicked Seun! Are the Goldies and Iridis local?

14. magman

magman Thread Starter

The worlds most expensive carpet, he has eaten 2 goldies, 1 regal and a barbartos wrasse. He cost R450, but has eaten R700 worth of livestock. Does get well fed though[​IMG]

15. magman

magman Thread Starter

My Bleached baby, am really giving her all the TLC I can give.[​IMG]

16. magman

magman Thread Starter

Bubble tip coral, I am in desperate need of fraging the base, it has grown a second side, which is not getting enough light as the top half covers it, but I need to make a plan with the right fragging tools.[​IMG]

17. Neil H

Neil H Moderator MASA Contributor

Magman,

lovely tank mate,

you said the clowns were tank bred...... PLEASE do you have the tel no of the breeder .... i am desperately looking for rotifers, and if they are breeding clowns then chances are they have them !!! i am desperate man !!

18. jacquesb

jacquesb Retired Moderator

MagMan - that's a frogspawn coral mate. Awesome looking one at that. For this, you can break pieces of the branches off with your hands if you want to..... I would not use "tools" as such on this....

19. riyadhessa

riyadhessa

magman...Tank is looking very nice...

How many power heads do you have in your system, from the pic i can only see one...

I see that you have an anemone....Could you please tell us what lights you have...?

And i agree that substrate must go...Rather use aragonite if you can afford it or if you on a budget, use reggies play sand...

20. magman

magman Thread Starter

The dominos, these guys are quite fun and change nemmies as they feel like.[​IMG]

21. magman

magman Thread Starter

The skimmer on DSB, I have had to make a plan, cause the exit pipe is too long, it would take up too much space on the DSB, so put it on. The other day my wife was looking for the tupperware, I could not tell her where it was. But baffle pipe from overflow goes right onto the skimmer feed pump[​IMG]

Recent Posts