For All Newbies

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by Slims, 22 Nov 2010.

1. Slims

Slims

Hi Guys

I am relatively new to the marine scene myself. It's been a year since i first got started. A stressful and expensive year! I want to share some of my experiences with all beginners out there so that they might learn from them.

I got given a tank by a friend. It was a FW tank that was used for SW. It had no overflow , had a HOB skimmer , a cannister filter and a couple of T5's with no sump. This guy was sold fish and corals by the LFS. Needless to say it all died.
    Looking at his success at reefkeeping(or his lack thereof) i decided not to take too much advice from the LFS. Instead I researched the hobby on the net. Forums like this one was the best source for hands on knowledge. 3 weeks after setting up the tank i replaced the cannister with a sump and overflow box , added more lights , got the water parametres stable and started stocking up.

Then it went horribly wrong. I got a fish that had whitespot (not visible when i saw it at the LFS) . This one fish infected my entire tank and i lost about 5 fish(R2000) in a week. LFS kept selling me different meds that were expensive but did nothing for the WS. Then the LFS sold me a Anemone - it lasted a month.This phase passed and I paid less attention to my tank not adding much and everything went well for the next 8 months. Then i moved and setup a new tank with the right equipment. And WS is back. I lost 5 fish in the last 5 days after adding a new PB Tang to my setup 2 weeks ago.

Here are a few points to remember:

1. Before spending a cent - RESEARCH. Knowledge is your best friend.
    2. Choose your equipment carefully. Ask for advice on this forum before purchasing.
    3. Spend as much money on a Skimmer.
    4. This is important... Set up a Quarantine tank at the same time as your display tank. If you don't you will regret it. Bear in mind that LFS don't quaratine their fish.
    So they will bring with them all the nasties. Quaratine any livestock before adding to your DT. I learnt this the hard way so i spent this weekend building a QT.
    QT's are great to have in an emergency - so be prepared.
    5. Reef safe Meds sold for WS do not work. You need to isolate your infected fish
    and treat with copper based meds. A Uv steriliser is also a good investment.
    6. DON'T buy an Anemone. Be patient. Nennies need a really mature enviroment to survive. Read the threads relating to nennies before purchasing one.
    7. Choose your LFS carefully. Here in Durban some of them are Ripoffs and keep
    really poor quality livestock. If you are Durban i suggest going to Julies in Gateway.

I will add more points as i think of them but the best advice i can give is....
    USE THIS FORUM FOR ALL YOUR QUESTIONS . The members here are very helpful
    and very knowlegable. What i've learnt in the last year would not have been possible without these guys. So THANKS to all the menbers.

Good luck.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. leslie hempel

leslie hempel Moderator MASA Contributor

learning from your loss is an important thing, the fishes death was not in vain if something is derived out of it although still tragic.

the guys on here put the fishes well being before the cash..

sorry for your losses but i can see you have progressed nicley..

good luck for the future

les

4. Nizaam

Nizaam

Excellent advice

5. Lycan

Lycan

Nice one slims
    I agree it bothers me for days when fish die, we have to research what we do very carefully BEFORE buying livestock... learnt the hard way to not buy livestock on impulse

6. Evo R

Evo R

Google is your friend!!!!!

7. ZaxXx

ZaxXx

Daaaamn man! sorry slims for your loses.
    Are they any ways of preventing white spot from spreading?? or controling it once noticed?

8. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Quaranteen.;)

9. Bob the (reef)builder

Bob the (reef)builder

Quaranteen before.;)

10. Slims

Slims Thread Starter

Hey Guys

I had to go home today to bury my 35cm Engineer Goby. Fortunately he was out from under the rocks so fishing him out was easy. This fish was given to me with the tank. He had survived 2 moves and the first WS outbreak but did not make it through this one. I'm really bummed about losing him. Its on days like today that i feel like giving up.

:censored: WHITE SPOT.

I will setup up my Hospital tank today & try to save the rest of my fish. Fingers crossed.

Recent Posts