for a new tank

Welcome to MASA ZaxXx ... Enjoy your stay here ... Have you started cutting the glass as yet? The reason why I'm asking is 80 cm is a little high and you going to need above average lighting if you want to keep corals....

Another thing is, you can't reach to the bottom of the tank.
Light hungry corals can be placed higher and corals that don't need that much light can placed at the bottom.
I would go for 700 mm hight. Also considering the glass thickness for a tank 800 high.
What glass thickness you got on mind?

Hi ZaxXx,

WELCOME to MASA

should i use a syphon or an over flow system?

If at all possible you should use an over-flow system, and NOT a siphon.

how do i work out what pumps a good enough

I suggest that you spend a few days reading threads here on MASA - if you're still not sure, then ask again. One cannot just recommend pump or pump rates without taking the whole system into consideration - e.g. the size of the sump, is the skimmer going to be fed from the over-flow, or is it going to be fed from the sump, what type of biotope are you planning (SPS corals require MUCH higher flow than e.g. LPS or soft corals...), do you want to use power heads inside the tank, or a closed loop system, how much money do you have to spend, ... So, look at various tanks and decide what works for you - THEN plan the lighting and water movement.

Hennie

Hey and welcome to MASA! I agree with Hennie rather go with a overflow as it's very hard to get the presise amount the pump to pump and the syphon to suck with a syphon tipe. If you can't drill your glass there are very easy DIY overflows able to hang on the tank and they work like a charm! Just see the DIY forum.

Welcome to MASA ZaxXx ... Enjoy your stay here ... Have you started cutting the glass as yet? The reason why I'm asking is 80 cm is a little high and you going to need above average lighting if you want to keep corals....

Im told i will need four t5s and a metal haalide light

Hi and welcome to MASA

Im told i will need four t5s and a metal haalide light

The big question is what wattage metal halide .... If the tank is too deep you going to need like 400 watts to get the halide to penetrate to the bottom .... Think about what its going to do to your Eskom bill?

I also think 800 is abit tooo high. So i think i rather make it 700
700 is a little better but you need to do is cut a piece of cardboard 700 high and make a model of your tank ... then you need to place rough model on top a stand at a height that you think you like to have the tank viewd at... and then try to "work" inside your model tank..... If you can reach every nook and cranny then well and good because at some stage or another you might have to get to it ... Then you will have an idea as a "workable" tank....

i will feed the skeemer from the sump... is that a better option?
It depends on the skimmer whether its an internal or external ... Try and go through other members threads and try and find someones close to your size ... I see you in Durbs ... There are plenty members around you ... before you take out your wallet and the excitement of getting into marines throw your ideas past our MASA members - our advice here is free and we have your best interest at heart .... Its a great hobby and very rewarding .... just dont rush things.... Also right click on members names from Durban and Private message them and try and meet up with them in person.... All the best buddy ... will be keeping an eye on your build.... If you need just shout on the forum and will try our best to help

Welcome to MASA!!

Hi there, welcome to MASA. Glad you joined.
I would suggest you first read this link in my signature on how to start a marine tank - there you'll find a lot of answers.
Also, join the guys at the MASA reefclub in Durban - you'll learn a lot by chatting to them on a monthly basis. Here is that link

http://www.marineaquariumsa.com/forumdisplay.php?f=95

Back
Top Bottom