fo verses reef tank

Discussion in 'Beginner Discussions' started by naughtydragons, 16 Jan 2010.

1. naughtydragons

naughtydragons

I have a tank at work that I have permission to revamp. Will I require as many "attatchments" with a fish only tank? Do I need a sump and dsb, skimmer and such? It has a canister filter (with just sintered glass) and 3kg live rock. Do I NEED a pskimmer and dsb? I just want to put in fish, no corals, and a crab or two and a shrimp. It has been running for 4 years with 2 monos, two blue yellow tail damsels and two perculas. I know it needs more LR and have it on order and will start to cure it asap.

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. Annoying

Annoying

Skimmer is a must. The best would be to have a sump because the external skimmers are almost double the price of an in-sump skimmer. It also depends on how much fish you want to add. If you have a sump then, then the reat is easy you can , put in a DSB or chaeto but the most important is a skimmer. You can also downgrade lighting to a few T8 because lighting wouldn't be a big deal. More live rock is a must or at the very least some base rock... Hope it helps.

4. Yuri

Yuri

you can put a algal turf scrubber in and a dsb with a sump
    get a cheep tank in the junk mail a old fresh water tank will work for a fish only tank
    and get sum bio rock

5. viper357

viper357 Admin MASA Contributor

If it's been running for 4 years already and there are no problems with it then I wouldn't bother with adding or changing too much to be honest. Additional live rock will definitely be a bonus though. Perhaps just do a test for Nitrates. If they are a bit high then a couple of regular waterchanges should solve that.

6. FransSny

FransSny

On a system with FO that has been running for 4 years odd (i Take it with minimal supervision) I am with viper on this, dont fix it if it aint broken.

I would however contemplate adding more LR, DSB & ATS. Go biological filtration a this would really not put you backa an arm and a leg.

This would however depend on your eventual bioload

Recent Posts