FO = No Algae...why?

Reaction score
Why is it that every single Fish Only system that I have ever seen has got no algae problems?

What is it about a reef tank that they usually at some point battle with algae?

Its rather disheartening when you see a system that has minimul amount of maintenance done but contains absolutley no algae, and your system which receives alot more attention, just can't rid the algae issues.

Hi Shane -

I will try and answer this one to the best of my abilities:
- it's not a case of FO systems NOT having nuisance algae problems
- with FO - you have far less lighting, which acts as a catalyst assisting nuisance algae to grow
- with FO systems, you usually have far less live rock, which can trap detritus (inside the actual live rock, as well as around it) which feeds the nuisance algae
- FO systems a lot of times contains fish that could most likely eat the algae, as it springs up - making you think that there's no macro algae
- soemtimes, you might see FO systems thinking that "geez this tank is clean - no algae" - where the tank is most likely only a few weeks old

Well - that was my try.... perhaps some others might have some better guesses at this question....

Points noted...thanks

I've seen some systems that are loaded with plenty of fish, way too many in my opinion. Without a skimmer or any phosphate reducers...but still, no algae!

Could it be because of the use of copper?

FO systems are like to include a lot of Tangs which love algae methinks.

IMO algae is a natural part of any marine aquarium , not having algae is unatural and so is FO or FOWLR systems.
Aslo i really dont see FO systems that last long anyway.( this is just my personal observation )

my thoughts are,it all boils down to filteration,in a FOWLR system the nutrient levels arent as high as what a reef system would be.if proper mechanical and natural filteration is used to export the nutrients in a reef system,there will be less/no chances of algea issues.IMO

Back
Top Bottom