Fluidized reactors

Discussion in 'Chemical Filtration / Low Nutrient Systems - LNS' started by Tim S, 24 Aug 2010.

1. Tim S

Tim S

In light of my cyano problem, I have a few questions if someone can assit please. I beleived that enough good quality LR would be sufficient to keep the nutrients in check. Is this a safe assumption or is this flawed? What percentage of reefers have media in their systems to assist the LR with nutrient export/breakdown?

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

I can not offer advice but I do have a lot of sympathy. I always understood flow is a big solution to Cyano until my current tank matured and Mr. Cyano gave me a visit. I have been turning my water 67 times per hour for more than a month now and the Cyano population is almost the same as before. I will hang on to the thread and wait for the wise ones to comment, in the mean time the very strong flow gave me some salt creep to sort out.

4. seank

seank

I was/is a believer that live rock alone will never keep nutrients in balance. Together with a good DSB, Skimmer, Carbon, Filterfloss(Ok this is me on the filterfloss) and Chaeto you can have a "better" tank without spending zillions on fancy equipment.

Waterflow is a factor in keeping Cyano at bay, but in my experience I learned that you can turn your tank water 100 times, and still get cyano. It is all about how you go about in lowering the "food source" Cyano lives on, baring in mind that Cyano do love light too (you will never find cyano in the dark places behind the rock etc- stating the fact that it is not strong waterflow alone that keep cyano away)

According to me (and this is only in my own limited experience) cyano thrives on phosphates, high nutrients etc, and I have 1st hand seen what wrong lights can do to get a cyano bloom or algae bloom for this matter.

One thing I can say is, since I started dosing Calcium, most of my Cyano problems disappeared. I always wanted to ask the Gurus if Cyano hates Calcium, but forgot. Maybe now is a good time to ask

Last edited: 24 Aug 2010
  5. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Calcium helps PO4 bind and is skimmed out with a good skimmer. I believe it does a similar thing with nitrate which is also a cyano food source. Cyano will always grow on areas of decay/die off and low DO come high CO2

6. seank

seank

explain please Nemo's:)

7. mandarinman

mandarinman

tim are you dosing a carbon source and or bacteria.

8. mandarinman

mandarinman

tim nutrients no matter what form they take still need to be exported.either through skimming, water change or chemical filtration. if you have high nutrients your live rock may actually absorbe them and continually sprout algae and spots of cyano

9. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

@ Sean Dissolved oxygen generally sustains life and keep organisms on your rocks and substrate alive. With a lack of O2, these organisms die, and Cyano takes over.

An increase in CO2 within a room or area where aquariums are kept inhibits the oxygen exchange process, depriving the organisms eluded to above, hence the die off and subsequent cyano bloom.

I am not a chemistry boffin and perhaps Hennie can jump in and help here but the way i understood it in layman's terms is the calcium attracts the CO2 and when skimmed or passed through a trickle filter removes CO2. Very short layman's explanation.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2010
  10. herkie

herkie R.I.P.

SK - I am dosing the calcium as discussed and no difference yet. But as we know by now this hobby is also about time and patience. Another problem is probably me not wanting to make drastic changes.

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

12. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

I had a PO4 spike a few months back and started dosing vodka and it helped. I then continued in very small daily dosings but I've stopped.
    As for the lighting, like everything else in keeping marines, you never get a simple straight answer. If you give your dt dims and ask for the prefered lighting set-up, they always exceed what I have. I have for a while considdered changing my lighting but this would go against common advice. I have 2x150w MH's with 10 000k lamps. I tried to add some antinic but the mh' are so bright, I'd have to have a crazy amount of tubes to "see" any diffirence. The other considderation would be to change the lamps to 20 000k units, but I'm not sure. Quite a few bucks just to test. For the rest of my system I have (IMO) a good skimmer, chaeto in sump, a very nice DIY material filter & lots of flow.

So to recap, chemical filtration seems to be quite necessary then. I started this thread to determine what the norm was amoungst us and decide what to do. Without recent comments of calcium I was considdering a PO4 & purigen reactor(s).

Whats the consensus on priority?

13. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

Just to jive you an idea of the degree of the cyano, I used my net to scrape the rear glass and from this alone the volume of slime was about 3/4 of a litre.

14. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

A good start would be....

1) a PO4 reactor with rowa phos.

2) A container dripping Kalkwasser via a .

3) Skim wet with a good skimmer.

4) Quality flow inside the tank.

5) Good surface agitation for CO2 exchange.

15. lIghty

lIghty

I personally believe its nutrients, not so much light. The reason I say this is because I have 2x 400w Mh and I don't have any cyno. Perhaps having the wrong colour rating light could help cyno growth, but the nutrients have to be there to start off with.

In my opinion always get the best skimmer you can afford, and I agree with Sean, run filter floss
    Posted via Mobile Device

16. neil.h

neil.h

Where do you use the filter floss? Skimmer chamber?

Getting Cyano over my DSB that I just can't shake. I'm skimming wet, the cup is about 1/4 full after a week. Also have a 5000lph Sun Sun blowing against the flow of the sump and agitating the surface

17. neo

neo

the 4 things that, together, made my cyano disapear was.
    1) Changed the tupes from the chinese crap my light unit came with to better ones, made about a 20% dent in cyano
    2) Less food, made about a 10% dent in cyano,
    3) This one made the biggest dent in my cyano problem, I removed a piece of LR, this was some coral skeleton sold as LR to me, the wife suggested I should remove this and I had about a 50% reduction in cyano within 2 weeks.
    4) Reverted back to my same old boring husbandry i used to do which started lacking.

18. lIghty

lIghty

I have mine in the 1st chamber, the overflow runs onto it.

Neil.h what skimmer you running as a 1/4 cup doesnt sound like much in a week, I get a 1/4 in 2days.

Perhaps a hermit on the DSB to just keep the top mm or 2 agitated?
    Posted via Mobile Device

19. neil.h

neil.h

Last edited: 25 Aug 2010
  20. neo

neo

is using a filter bag/sock the same type of thing as using floss ? i.e. catching debris ?

21. Tim S

Tim S Thread Starter

I use 4 filter socks of 600mm long as a "pre-filter" just aftre the overflow. This take out a huge amount of crap. My skimmer cannot be set any higher (wetter) otherwise it overflows. I have a sponge on one Voretch which I rinse each night. This also removes lots of stuff. But the reality is all the "stuff" thats being removed is cyano which has come loose off the rock etc.

Recent Posts