Fluidized purigen and phos-guard in a reactor

Discussion in 'General Discussions and Advice' started by rakabos, 28 Jun 2011.

1. rakabos

rakabos

Hi guys

So i needed a way to get my phosphates down and got hold of a bubble magus reactor from Jungle Aquatics @bryan . I read a lot about which media to use and being careful not to let it grind and become dust etc...

So i found Orca phos-guard which is a bead type media and looks similar to DI resin. So far the reactor runs smoothly and i dont see any beads making their way out of the chamber which is what i was worried about. So now im thinking why not run Purigen in the same way. I currently have it in a bag in a flow through filter but with this reactor working the bomb i was thinking to add another one with fluidized purigen.

Thoughts, opinions?

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. archiecrain

archiecrain

Tagging.....very interested

Purigen in a reactor would be similar to using NP Pellets

Last edited: 28 Jun 2011
  4. DudleyD

DudleyD

Just be careful if the purigen gets out it makes a mess that is difficult to get out of. Purigen is very fine and went through the sponge in my two little fishies reactor was a mission to keep the flow low enough - keep it in a fine mesh bag or stocking is my experience.

5. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Purigen leaching into the dt isnt a problem as such , it would just become part of the substrate, but yes keeping it in place would be the issue. I reckon a layer of mesh bag in the reactor next to the sponge may work

6. DudleyD

DudleyD

By the time I realised what was happening it was snowing in my tank. It setlles eventually but sits in the rock and requires minimal movement to disturb it. You need a very fine mesh bag.

7. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

So far the phosguard is staying put and like i said its the same size as purigen, but i imagine ure right and i will add the mesh anyway ;)

8. DudleyD

DudleyD

Thats cool - you lucky

9. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Ok so i got the two reactors and the phospha-guard works well, tumbles nicely with very little clumping.

Problem is with purigen. It is simply too light i think and it clumps at the top where the water flows out of the reactor, right beneath the sponge which keeps it in. The pump is 300L so its not very strong at all. Do you guys think an even smaller pump would help with this? If not what else can you guys suggest for the reactor to combat nitrates?

10. Tony

Tony

The Orca stuff is brilliant but dont use purigen in a fluidised bed like mentioned earlier you will have white beads all over the show. Why not gat a cheap canister filter to run your purigen, GAC and GFO or purigen. You only need to get the water to move the the products for them to work.

11. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Howzit Tony

I have been running purigen in a flow through filter for quite some time, just thought it would be more effective this way. I have seen a lot of peeps oversees reporting good things about running it in a reactor. As for the beads overflowing I added a 100micron filterbag over the sponge, which keeps the purigen in place, not one bead got out. The reactor has an adjustable flow valve but it doesnt matter how i manipulate it i cant get it to stop clumping at the top. Guess im gonna stick with the usual filter, so what can i use the reactor for? I know Orca had a product called Nitra-guard, maybe give that a shot?

12. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Why is it clumping at the top? Too much flow or just because the purigen is light and floats to the top? If it is still too much flow from the 300LPH then add a T-piece between the pump and the reactor with a ball valve on the outlet of the T. Then you use the ball valve to reduce the flow and it does not add back pressure on the pump as the water just falls back into the same chamber it came from. The pump still does 300LPH but the reactor only gets say 50. I have done this on my carbon reactor and I get a fast trickle through it.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2011
  13. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

It clumps at the top from too much flow i imagine, adding a valve is a very good idea. Now i just need to find small enough t-pieces and valves :p

14. Tony

Tony

Howzit Martin

What are your nitrates and phosphates looking like at the moment. Are you carbon dosing at all?

15. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

I have ordered proper Hannah meters, will tell u when i get them what the readings are :p

I dont dose carbon, and ive seen an increase in GHA and cyano over the last bit, so I imagine my nutrients are high. My only filtration is GAC, purigen and a good skimmer

16. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Lets say the 50L modification works, the question then becomes if that would be sufficient to actually work on a 700L system... :whistling:

17. mariusmeyer

mariusmeyer

Use 15mm irrigation fittings and builders also has the small ballvalves at R15 each. Or I might have for you as well.

I use a very slow trickle through my carbon reactor and it works great in my 600L. Rather have a slow flow through it and the water out of the reactor is clean than to have a fast flow and the water has to pass 100 times to get clean. My water went from yellow tint to crystal clear in 2 days and has stayed clear since.

Last edited: 30 Jun 2011
  18. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Makes sense...

Will have a look at FAB on Oxford road, they have all sorts of plumbing stuffs

19. Tony

Tony

Martin, why dont you start dosing probiotics and carbon. It will definately help you with the nutrients but in your system and you wont need all those nutrient reducing media. I dont think you want to go ULNS because of your zoas which tend to like a bit of dirt for want of a better word. If your coralline is growing then your phosphates are OK and if your nitrates are between 1-3ppm I cant see a problem for a zoa dominated system. Sometimes less is more. I've even yanked out those bio pellets out of my system and just dosing vodka and Prodibio.

20. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

Well I know my zoas are going to complain about lower nutrients but they must just get over it :p

The idea about the reactors is i dont want to over complicate and have to start dosing every day etc etc, as little time spent on the tank as possible and reactors will accomplish this.

So coraline growth is linked to low'ish phosphates, then why is GHA starting to become an issue?

21. rakabos

rakabos Thread Starter

@Tony why did u remove the NP pellets? I was looking at that also as an option instead of purigen in the 2n reactor

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
Recent Posts