[wtd] Fluidized Bed Biological Filter

Discussion in 'Wanted' started by dallasg, 11 Feb 2013.

1. dallasg

dallasg Moderator MASA Contributor

Anyone have second hand ones???

2. AdS Guest

to hide all adverts.
  3. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Dude it's the easiest thing in the world to DIY. You should go and trawl the koi forums for ideas. I have a 70l big jim bin that I'm going to turn into a fluidised filter. It would fit very easily underneath your stand, whereas I will have to place it next to my tank.

Gravity feed from the overflow straight down the middle, with an overflow plumbed near the rim into the sump (which will get turned into a macro farm in my case). Bye bye skimmer! Alfagrog etc is going to cost though.

4. dallasg

dallasg Thread Starter Moderator MASA Contributor

I need a proper one driven by a pump, looking at using 160mm drain pipe , needs to be 180cm to be effective, maybe make a coat tack from it too

5. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Ah you want one of those tall minuteman silo jobs?

6. dallasg

I want one for a 2500x1000x600 tank, was thinking 3-4 small ones

7. RocketRooster

RocketRooster

Heh, keep the hobby simple!

Just as a point of reference, a fluidised bed the volume of at wheelie bin can reliably handle a heavily stocked koi pond of around 15000l (assuming you prefilter solids out first though). I have no idea how comparable koi vs marine are wrt the nitrogen cycle, but koi are very adept at turning cash into kak.

8. dallasg

Fluidised filters are the bomb, very efficient at mineralization and nitrification and I have bio cubes for nitrates, doesn't get more simple than that

9. irie ivan

irie ivan MASA Contributor

Got one for you!

10. dallasg

You not using it I take it

11. Nemos Janitor

Nemos Janitor

Ahaaa...... you peeked something did you. Dallas just use a pool filter but only put in 3/4 bag sand in a 2 bag filter. Rather go trickle filter. Something i wanted to explore was the use of cubes in a trickle filter. Got a tower. interested ???

12. dallasg

Pool filter to big and noisey, looking at this
    [​IMG]

13. dallasg

Trickle filter sounds good, which one?

14. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

FBF have the same issues as NP-pellets. Basically a NP reactor and pellets is a FBF as well. Only difference is that the pellets provide some food source and needs to be replenished over time. Where a FBF with sand does not. Can also use other media as with the Koi industry with the Nexus filters. Exactly the same thing at the end of the day. NP_pellets, sand or Kaldness media in the Nexus, they all work on the principal of rubbing excess bacteria from the substrate, allowing more to grow.

Important is that your mechanical filtration must still be done before pumping water into a FBF.

Flow needs to be right. Too fast and you do not have the complete nitrogen cycle, never mind the issue of blowing the sand out of the unit. To slow flow and you will struggle to get it fluidized, resulting in channelling plus the change of being over anaerobic. That is why your picture posted got a oxygenate or re-breather unit as last chamber. Will be marvellous to incorporate your Ozone unit with the re-breather.

All the other issues around NP-Pellets are still a problem. Extended power outages, clumping, channelling, incorrect flow, and what not. A FBF do not have mechanical filtration capabilities (OK, a little bit yes), neither chemical. So it still needs to be used with a skimmer in place, plus your chemical reactors stay.

The advantage with a properly setup FBF is that it can handle a lot of waste. It can react quicker to a sudden bio-load increase, compared to live rock and DSB.

Another point to keep in consideration is that they tend to be tall units to be really effective, especially when using sand. That might explain some issues with the smaller NP-pellet reactors.

15. RiaanP

RiaanP Moderator

Actually, this can be a interesting topic, Let's split this thread.
    Is that OK @dallasg

Last edited by a moderator: 26 Nov 2015
  16. dallasg

split? the topic is about FSF, no prob

a FSF is purely a biological filter, yes some mechnical in 2 forms, the sand will mash larger particulate waste, and the 50 micron filtersock will catch everything that leaves. It also will have a gasing chamber over bioballs to aid in the re-saturation of O2.
    while most stand 182cm high, there are smaller ones, this unit of mine will be about 800mm high and have possibly 2kg of oolitic sand i am getting from an aqua-cultural supplier.

since my system will be DC pump based i am expecting 2-3 days standby on battery power, so no real issues with power, also these filters are very efficient at mineralisation and nitrification i wont have any issues if things go wrong and they are virtually maintenance free

Recent Posts